Contract Question

That sounds plausible if there wasn’t even an “I quit” email, but Article 14 of the LSA lets you give same-day notice if any of the conditions listed (e.g. employer violating employee’s rights) exists.

If you get blacklisted it would probably be on the grounds that you were “unjustifiably absent from work for three consecutive days”, a recurring theme in these laws. After the contract is terminated, there’s no work and therefore no absence.[/quote]

Sorry, I didn’t read anything about giving notice before leaving. I had read the earlier dialogue as ‘just leaving’.

Still there is an official contract termination form that is signed by both parties when terminating a contract. An email might suffice but the OP wouldn’t be in Taiwan to fight a claim that he went AWOL. If he leaves then he should fill out the official contract termination form that is signed by both parties and filed with the labor office. That way he knows that he is safe.

But the best (and only) advice is to go to the labor office and find out what his options are.[/quote]
I think this is the form you meant.

blank form: bola.gov.taipei/public/Data/310713551071.doc
filled form: bli.gov.tw/File.aspx?uid=SG4gAT5KFVw=

It’s a 離職證明書, proof of leaving employment, similar to a 服務證明書 “proof of service record”. Reporting termination to the government is called 資遣通報 and has its own faq section at the Taipei Labor Dept’s website.

bola.gov.taipei/lp.asp?CtNode=63 … xq_xCat=14

It’s required in some cases, but not when the employee quits with a valid reason (Article 14). What they don’t mention on that page is that the employee can request a “proof of service record” (there are examples on various websites), and the employer doesn’t have the right to refuse. (There’s a fine for refusing.)

A former employer who tries to get revenge by telling the government you disappeared without quitting is risking criminal charges (Criminal Code, Articles 214 & 215). The maximum fine is just $1500 NT, but the maximum prison term is 3 years. Keep your resignation email handy just in case :wink: