Convert from Hong Kong Driving Licence? (Not IDP)

I think they meant I need a PoA in Taiwan to certify my HK driver’s license? Regardless, it wouldn’t work because I already contacted a PoA and they said they can’t certify it. They can only write a statement for me, which is useless. The bureaucracy in Taiwan is really something else… Its basically much easier to just take the test in Taiwan than it is to exchange a license.

You also won’t be able to certify in TECOs in Hong Kong by the way. I tried before coming to Taiwan, and they refused because of Covid. They said its non-essential and you have to show up in-person… So basically, all roads lead to a dead-end.

1 Like

Updating an old thread that I had been following.

I just obtained a 6 year Taiwan drivers license from my Hong Kong drivers license. The procedure was simple: pop over to HK, do the quarantine, go to the HK TECO office appointment website, refresh several times until a good appointment time is available (appears to be random), take your HK license and photocopy to TECO along with ~HK$100, get a number and wait, see someone to check your license and photocopy, come back to TECO several days later to get your chopped paper saying they saw your license, return to Taiwan and do the quarantine, get some photos, get an eye exam at a local hospital for NT$300 bringing a photo and official DMV form, go to DMV with TECO certified paper, HK license, eye exam form, another photo, and NT$200, and get issued the license. They did not take away my HK license, BTW.

2 Likes

Exactly as I did back in May. Got my car and ordinary motorcycle licence, they didn’t take away my HK licence. It seems no agreement between HK and TW on the return of exchanged/converted licences