Converting AVI files

I’ve got an AVI file I want to convert to a file which I can burn on my computer (nero 7).

I’ve used the AVI converter that came with my computer, and another I got offline.

When I split or convert files, I get audio, but no video.

What’s the deal? My software?

How can I convert AVI files? What should I convert them to? Or, is there a way to burn an AVI file without converting it using Nero?

Thanks

Do you want to burn the AVI file as a Video CD in Nero? Or just as a regular file?

If you want to burn as a Video Cd, then you’ll need to convert the AVI to mpeg format.

www.vcdhelp.com

Yes, I know that I have to convert AVI to MPEG.

I’ve used two different kids of software to convert.

One is called “Ultra Avi Converter” and it came wtih my computer.

The other is called “TMPGEnc.exe”.

In both cases, weather I split or convert, only the audio process works.

There is no picture after the conversion process, only audio.

What’s the issue? Am I hitting the wrong buttons, or does this software not like white people?

Thanks for your time Frokky. I appreciate it.

[quote=“frokky”]Do you want to burn the AVI file as a Video CD in Nero? Or just as a regular file?

If you want to burn as a Video Cd, then you’ll need to convert the AVI to mpeg format.

www.vcdhelp.com[/quote]

Not necessary. Nero will accept an avi file and automatically convert it for you as part of the process of making a VCD.

If, however, the file is too long for one VCD, you’re going to have problems.

[quote=“tristach”]I’ve got an AVI file I want to convert to a file which I can burn on my computer (nero 7).

I’ve used the AVI converter that came with my computer, and another I got offline.

When I split or convert files, I get audio, but no video.

What’s the deal? My software?

How can I convert AVI files? What should I convert them to? Or, is there a way to burn an AVI file without converting it using Nero?

Thanks[/quote]

The audio but no video problem is likely because you do not have all the codecs necessary to deal with avi (divX). Download and install the divX player, and everything should be sorted (even if you never actually use this player, the fact that the codecs are installed on your computer will make a difference).

divx.com/divx/ (download DivX Play 6.1)

Nero 7 has all the stuff inside to burn AVI to SuperVCD (or VCD), no matter if the source has MPEG2 or 4 inside. My older Nero6 still wanted me to buy plugins.

Well, I’ve got Nero 6 (Express), and mine can do it. Maybe you needed to download the DivX player, so you’d have everything you needed on the computer, without having to buy any plug-ins. Of course I’m talking about avi to VCD here.

Okay, I’ll try the SUPER VCD, thanks bob_honest.

Is the DIVix player free to download?

Also, how do I cut files that already exist? If I download DIVix software, will my old avi converter suddenly start working?

Also, people tell me I can burn AVI straight to dvd with nero 7.

If so, then, then how do I do it?

I say that because i’m either missing a button, or doing something else wrong.

-I go to NERO7.
-Select DVD from the top button.
-Select DVD-Video.

Two files pop up, one blue and one gold.

-I drag my dvd over.
-I get an error message that says “you cannot burn this file because…”.

What’s my error?

Is the D

My tuppence worth…

I used to convert divx/xvid (.avi) files to MPG on Nero, but it is such a nightmare to do all the time.

I have not seen the latest version of Nero (cannot stand the software), and I use SONIC, as supplied with my BENQ drive (which in my opinion is so much better), to burn divx files direct to DVD. I have also used Burn4Free (freeware) which also works well.

The issue with burning divx files to DVD is - what to play them on? If you just want to watch via your PC then there are plenty of free DIVX players to download and use. If you want to watch on DVD player / TV then either convert to VCD / DVD or buy a DVD player with DIVX capability.

In my opinion - considering the time spent re-encoding - if you are looking at using this quite often then buy a new DVD player with DIVX capabilities. They are getting cheaper all the time now.

Re-encoding DIVX to VCD even 30 minutes files take forever (60 minutes +), the aspect ratio often gets messed up, and (using Nero) constantly used to fail for me.

[quote=“irishstu”][quote=“frokky”]Do you want to burn the AVI file as a Video CD in Nero? Or just as a regular file?

www.vcdhelp.com[/quote]

Not necessary. Nero will accept an avi file and automatically convert it for you as part of the process of making a VCD.

If, however, the file is too long for one VCD, you’re going to have problems.[/quote]

Use AVISplit (freeware from http://www.bobyte.com/) to cut avi files into to right size to fit VCD or SVCD.

Hey Guys:

I’ll give BENQ a try, and Burn4Free as well.

I’m still waiting for someone to list some good software to cut AVI files.

If Nero will convert them automatically (as someone stated), then I still need to cut the AVI files as they’re too large to fit onto one VCD right now.

Also, as I mentioned before, when I try to burn AVI files to my DVD, I can only burn data cds.

Also, could someone recomend a web site where they explain how to use NERO 7 to burn a DVD.

I’ve tried several times, but I alwasy get an error message.

With the program AVI2DVD you can generate VCD and DVD formats, and even add subititles if they come separate with the AVI file. It is free of charge, check www.vcdhelp.com if you want to download it.

[quote=“tristach”]Hey Guys:

I’ll give BENQ a try, and Burn4Free as well.

I’m still waiting for someone to list some good software to cut AVI files.

If Nero will convert them automatically (as someone stated), then I still need to cut the AVI files as they’re too large to fit onto one VCD right now.

Also, as I mentioned before, when I try to burn AVI files to my DVD, I can only burn data cds.

Also, could someone recomend a web site where they explain how to use NERO 7 to burn a DVD.

I’ve tried several times, but I alwasy get an error message.[/quote]

Hold on a minute. Nero can automatically convert an avi file to a VCD (to be put on a CD), but NOT a DVD. So which are you trying to do?

“Hold on a minute. Nero can automatically convert an avi file to a VCD (to be put on a CD), but NOT a DVD. So which are you trying to do?”

I’m trying to get some AVI files off of my hard drive and onto either a CD or a DVD which I can view at my home.

Right now, the files are to large to simply be burned to a VCD, or a SuperVCD.

I’d prefer to burn to a DVD, but I can only burn data DVDS, which I can’t watch on my DVD player.

Again, I need software which will either split or convert AVI files to MPG so that I can burn them.

Thanks for your help.

See my previous post on AVISplit.

Then just burn the split avi files to VCD using Nero.

Or, let AVI2DVD do the work for you. You can indicate in AVI2DVD how many CD’s you want to have in the end (maybe 1 or 2 for VCD, 1 for DVD).