Converting VISA types--so confusing!

[quote=“Confuzius”]Thank you for the correction!

Does this “trouble renewing it and applying for a resident visa/ARC” also apply if you find a job teaching 15 hrs a week with a school that will apply for your ARC? Or is it related to the OP’s original question and the issue of converting a visitor visa with “P” under the 註記/remarks section to a resident, student visa?[/quote]

Are you saying that you’re going to come here on a “for study” visitor visa and then find an ARC-granting job (before you apply for a resident visa, presumably)? I am guessing this would be problematic for a number of reasons, and I doubt it would be possible without a visa run. But I have no clue why someone would do this, so maybe I’m misunderstanding you.

I came here initially to teach English with a P visitor visa (“禁止工作/the bearer cannot work without permission”) from the D.C. TECO and (supposedly) had problems on applying for an ARC, but my school somehow succeeded in having it cancelled (“without prejudice”) and getting me a resident visa (“TR/A - [name of employer]”), which was then “used” to get the ARC (most workers go straight to the ARC). Whatever they did, I’m guessing it wasn’t by the book. However, the school handled everything and I thus have no idea what happened (I don’t want to know what happened), so I hesitate to draw any general conclusions from this experience. I don’t know if the P visa is normal or not, or even if this problem with the P visa was real or something concocted by someone with ulterior motives on either side. I got my second visitor visa in Osaka as a student and was not questioned at all about this incident.

In general, as long as you have a visitor visa, a 4 year degree, and the school is legitimate, you should not encounter any difficulties. Once you have started work, you will have to make a visa run if you want to become a full-time student. By the way, the minimum of 14 (not 15 - that’s the amount of class time you need as a student) hours of teaching is what’s legally required for an ARC. If the boss likes you, alternative arrangements are always possible.

[quote=“odysseyandoracle”][quote=“Confuzius”]Thank you for the correction!

Does this “trouble renewing it and applying for a resident visa/ARC” also apply if you find a job teaching 15 hrs a week with a school that will apply for your ARC? Or is it related to the OP’s original question and the issue of converting a visitor visa with “P” under the 註記/remarks section to a resident, student visa?[/quote]

Are you saying that you’re going to come here on a “for study” visitor visa and then find an ARC-granting job (before you apply for a resident visa, presumably)? I am guessing this would be problematic for a number of reasons, and I doubt it would be possible without a visa run. But I have no clue why someone would do this, so maybe I’m misunderstanding you.

I came here initially to teach English with a P visitor visa (“禁止工作/the bearer cannot work without permission”) from the D.C. TECO [/quote]

We are doing exactly what you did, (not the student visa, then looking for work) have the “P” and all. The reason we chose a visitor visa for touring (not study) rather than visa exempt entry is that 30 days may not be enough to find a job (especially with the hassle of having to leave mid job search possibly).

[quote=“odysseyandoracle”]
and (supposedly) had problems on applying for an ARC, but my school somehow succeeded in having it cancelled (“without prejudice”) and getting me a resident visa (“TR/A - [name of employer]”), which was then “used” to get the ARC (most workers go straight to the ARC). Whatever they did, I’m guessing it wasn’t by the book. However, the school handled everything and I thus have no idea what happened (I don’t want to know what happened), so I hesitate to draw any general conclusions from this experience. I don’t know if the P visa is normal or not, or even if this problem with the P visa was real or something concocted by someone with ulterior motives on either side. I got my second visitor visa in Osaka as a student and was not questioned at all about this incident.[/quote]

May I ask why you: 1. Why you were lead to believe the “P” was the problem and 2. Why do you doubt the validity of this actually having been the problem?

[quote=“odysseyandoracle”]
In general, as long as you have a visitor visa, a 4 year degree, and the school is legitimate, you should not encounter any difficulties. Once you have started work, you will have to make a visa run if you want to become a full-time student. By the way, the minimum of 14 (not 15 - that’s the amount of class time you need as a student) hours of teaching is what’s legally required for an ARC. If the boss likes you, alternative arrangements are always possible.[/quote]

It looks like I was not entirely clear, my apologies. I am not looking to become a full time student…just get an ARC through teaching. Have an MA and am working on a PhD, will not teach illegally, am trying to go by the book (except for the nasty little secret of looking for work…but looking for legal teaching work, to then get work permit and ARC).

When they went to apply for my ARC, they came back saying they couldn’t do it because of the P, then went about solving this supposed problem, which involved applying for a new, resident visa. I still have this visa in my passport, so that really happened. As to why, I don’t know. Two other teachers from American came less than two months later, and neither had any problem. Nor did any of the other numerous teachers who came and went during my year+ there. Maybe someone at the immigration office was just having a bad day, who knows.

I doubt the validity of the problem because I’ve never heard of anyone else having it. And because my school does not have the cleanest history, as you can see if you look back at the thread my first posts were in. At the time I arrived, a coworker who had not been there for long was getting the runaround about her own ARC, which supposedly could not be procured because “the ARC office ran out of materials.” :unamused: Then when she saw it in the head teacher’s drawer, the response was “Oh! It just come today. Sorry Teacher, we forgot.” However, I did get my ARC, as did everyone else who came through the school, and there were no further incidents of this kind.

Incidentally, that head teacher is now my language exchange partner and no longer works in any cram school. Whenever I try to figure out exactly what happened with me or the aforementioned coworker, she refuses to give a clear response. Must be PTSD. :smiley:

Thank you for the thorough response, much appreciated!! :bravo: :bow: :bravo:

Hi Matt…

I tried to go to the Philippines to get a visitor visa but they are stingy there. They only gave me one once I got a letter from one of my friends in Taiwan that I was specifically visiting him and a interview with the head of the consulate.

I would highly recommend that you get the visitor visa before leaving because it is hit and miss when you are in another country. What would you do then if they said no?[/quote]

Sounds like it could be problematic, although I have a letter from a friend already addressing a visit during the Chinese New Year, and can get others pretty easily. Do you mean that TECO in the Philippines were giving you a hard time, or customs in the Philippines were giving you a hard time? It’s my understanding that Americans, at least, can enter for 21 days without a visa. If it’s the former, was there any particular reason TECO gave you a hard time? Or is it just that the TECO office in Manilla, or wherever you landed, is unfriendly?

Thanks man!