Convicted of theft for picking up abandoned OBike

Thats just dyslexic Beef :wink:

1 Like

How you doin’? :wink:

5 Likes

Or Beer. Drunk and dyslexic

1 Like

Cool, and I’ve never tried anything else. I didn’t know you did banjos, too.

For the fine, at least you could come up with the money. I’d be in jail now.

Oookay, I think it’s about time to wrap up here. Further comments on the bike theft issue are welcome. All off topic comments will be zapped without mercy. :cloud_with_lightning:

Wishing you all a pleasant day! :bowing:

12 posts were split to a new topic: The Banjo Thread

So if you found a credit card you would use it to buy stuff too? That’s theft plain and simple. Vast majority of EasyCards are linked to an ID, either through uBike, through the original purchase or other means. There is literally no excuse not to hand it in, unlike cash where it would be hard to find and prove who the owner is. You don’t need to be clumsy to lose your card, and even so, being clumsy isn’t a crime. If you don’t want to deal with the hassle of handing it in, don’t pick it up to begin with.

3 Likes

Even cash is risky. If it’s 50nt or something then people may not want to press charges but suppose you find cash and kept it. Someone reports it lost, and the police sees you pick up the cash on the camera. They can summon you and charge you with the theft.

1 Like

I’m no attorney but here’s my opinion

First, You have to at least “intended to steal” for this to count as theft

In this news the suspect “borrowed the scooter for five hours” and it’s not considered theft
I’m not sure what you said in court you might feel guilty but that doesn’t mean it’s theft

Second, who’s the victim here? Did the Obike company sue you? I don’t think there’s a crime if there’s no victim
I don’t think the case has a ground But I could also be wrong here since I’m no lawyer…

Third, you can always go for an appeal or something like that
Dunno the lingo
The punishment doesn’t match the crime
The penalty is 100 times more than what the bike is worth

It’s very likely there just making a case for the KPI
there are free legal services out there
Here’s one
https://www.laf.org.tw/en/

And I think every city/county has their own service (I’m not sure)
And you can always rely one your 里長 unless they’re gangsters or bunch of parasites sponging off our tax money
But a foreigner makes good story so they probably will help you anyways

Also I think all law school provide free legal service
Usually from the students tho

And if you’re willing to go that far
Press is a good idea

I don’t think the prosecutor (or judge?) made their case so you will probably get dismissed (or whatever it’s called) or at least away with lower penalty
Again I’m no attorney but if my tax money is used to put ppl who’s recycling this obike crap behind bars I would be very unpleased

Here’s another news regarding occupying abandoned stuff
It says here if something is abandoned, it has no owner, and therefore finders keepers

But if it’s lost, it still has an owner
And if you take it, it’s theft

Laf is useless because they don’t even know anything about criminal procedure.

If I don’t use laf then I have to pay, and chances are the financial cost will be the same.

Did you call them?

基金會服務項目
依據法律扶助法第4條:

訴訟、非訟、仲裁及其他事件之代理、辯護或輔佐(各類民事、家事、刑事、行政事件及檢警第一次偵訊律師陪同到場之服務)

It says here they also consult criminal prosecution.
Sometimes it’s just the newbies or lazybones that turns you down.
Maybe you can call again

If you have concerns about their experience in criminal cases,
Here’s a statistic from 2012

I made an appointment and they literally do not know what they’re talking about. They’re called laf for a reason. The prosecutors office clerk knows far more than these so called lawyers or paralegal. If you want quality legal representation you pay for it.

And judges and prosecutors here have a lot of discretion. Like someone who murders his mom goes free because he was intoxicated. Or some stupid judgments like this.

1 Like

I see
If you can’t afford quality legal consults than perhaps your move left would be the press or a congressperson
I can’t think of anything else
Good luck then

What do you mean by this? Do people steal vehicles or at least bikes a lot here?

You are responding to a post from 2019, by a poster I have not seen active in more than year. :slightly_smiling_face:

There was, at some point, lots of bicycle theft in my part of Taipei City. It seems to have settled down a bit—though perhaps the thieving continues in other districts.

Guy

1 Like

it continues, but now mostly high end stuff is stolen, everyday bikes became cheaper and hence less worth stealing

2 Likes

Re-cycling: A county in central Taiwan has launched a program that fixes abandoned bikes and gives them to people who need them.

6 Likes

They must be busy. I like the guy at 0:40, he doesn’t even stop working to talk to the camera crew.

One wishes you well. One hopes you have moved onto other things in life.