Convicted of theft for picking up abandoned OBike

Yea I never understood why these don’t get cleaned up, Ive seen them in tunnels blocking the pedestrian Walkway, obviously been there for years.

2 Likes

Question is, is it appropriate for me to start a gofundme? Can someone here assist me with that?

And deportation is not an issue… I have a ROC ID.

Q42 住家附近很多人用廢車占用停車位,可否由環保署基管會處理?

請將廢車車牌、廠牌、顏色、車型及所在地址抄下,向環保署免付費資源回收專線0800-085717(諧音:您幫我,清一清)或上資源回收網>我要檢舉,即可檢舉路邊廢車;或若為有牌廢車則可通知當地環保單位協同警察單位,無牌廢車則可通知當地環保單位;環保或警察單位將前往處理。

Q43 民眾通報占用道路廢棄車輛該如何處理?

民眾通報占用道路廢棄車輛,可逕向當地環保局(無牌廢車),當地環保局協同警察(有牌廢車)單位檢舉,或逕向本署免付費資源回收專線電話0800-085717(諧音:您幫我,清一清)檢舉。

Q44 認定一輛廢車須多少時間?

車主切結放棄之車輛,可逕行確認為廢車。但對路邊疑似無主廢車,經由環警單位派員現場勘查認定後,張貼通知單於車體明顯處,經查報張貼 7日仍無人清理者,由環境保護機關先行移置至指定場所存放,公告一個月後無人認領者,則由環保機關依廢棄物清除。

Q45 政府單位如何執行廢車的認定?

依「占用道路廢棄車輛認定基準及查報處理辦法」第2條規定,占用道路車輛有下列情形之一者,認定為廢棄車輛:
(1)經所有人或其代理人以書面放棄之車輛。
(2)車輛髒污、鏽蝕、破損,外觀上明顯失去原效用之車輛。 (3)失去原效用之事故車、解體車。
(4)其他符合經中央環境保護署主管機關會商相關機關公告認定標準之車輛。

Q46 檢舉路邊廢車有無獎勵金領取?

環保署鼓勵民眾共同參與環保檢舉廢車,但目前尚無提供獎勵金。

4 Likes

you can ask these questions at LAF. Their legal counseling is for free. You just need to make an appointment. No need to prove your income etc.

Or you can visit or call to the prosecutors office to ask.

Just imagine all the OBikes you can buy with that money.

3 Likes

So how much prison time do the original owners get for littering the streets with rusty garbage? And what department of government is responsible for recycling this trash maybe they can all chip in and pay the fine. Nice to know the cops are on the ball pity they can’t “move on” the glue sniffers in the local park near me but can catch people riding rusty bicycles, that’s reassuring lol.
Yes, this post was sarcasm to highlight how over the top this is. I’d have fought that case although I wouldn’t have broke the lock, just because I’ve been here long enough to know not to. You could have argued you took it to clean the rust off it , reduce the pollution, as you were worried about it being a hazard blah blah. That sentence should be appealed. As the poster said go to the legal aid foundation get a lawyer. Good luck.

9 Likes

never got the impression the cops cared about this. i mean if they want easy arrests how about go watch some traffic for 5 minutes…

4 Likes

Bicycle theft is barely considered a crime in Taiwan. Police don’t care and nobody with a bike worth more than a few bucks even owns a lock because it could never be left outside. It’s always been an odd thing because if you drop your wallet or leave your phone on a bus, you stand a good likelihood of getting it back.

I have no advice. You could go to the media but I am unsure if they would view this as we are viewing this or see it as a dirty foreigner stealing public property. You didn’t toss down a banana peel so perhaps it won’t be so bad.

I would think some sort of crowd funding would work. I would chip in and imagine a lot of others would as well.

beware of the four red circles…

But you can only park for 24 h in the same spot.

This post doesn’t constitute legal advice. I don’t really know what’s what here, but I just want to express my puzzlement about something.

The English translation of Article 949 of the Civil Code seems to say that the loser of property can demand its return within two years of the loss:

https://law.moj.gov.tw/ENG/LawClass/LawSearchContent.aspx?pcode=B0000001&norge=949

The English translation of Article 320 of the Criminal Code seems to say that larceny is the unlawful exercise of control over, or the taking of, the property of another:

https://law.moj.gov.tw/ENG/LawClass/LawSearchContent.aspx?pcode=C0000001&norge=320

If the thing in question was abandoned more than two years ago, I wonder who the “another” is in this case?

Again, I’m just expressing puzzlement; I’m not giving legal advice.

Edited to add:

I was wrong. Apparently the bicycles in question were abandoned less than two years ago:

I apologize for the careless error.

3 Likes

Can you help me in starting a gofundme?

Honestly I don’t know if it’s worth trying to appeal. There’s always the risk that the second judge could sentence harsher (meaning jail time without an option to pay a fine to stay out of jail). Also lawyers would cost more than 180,000NT.

Do these bicycles have numbers on them? How would the cop know to pull you over? This is fascinating.
Do they have an electronic mobile database with them that can match to missing o bikes? Is this a big issue now? For a defunct biz?

Was there street footage of you cutting the lock? How do you come to carry a grinder with you? Where did you plug it in? Why did you admit to cutting the lock and not just say you found it at the river?

1 Like

You can recognize an obike from a far. The cops probably just passed him by and wondered how he was riding one if the company is defunct.

1 Like

Don’t go to the media for exactly this reason. If you’re a foreigner you can’t win here… at least the public perception battle.

3 Likes

on my second thought, it’s not a good idea to get media attention, sorry for that bad advice.

I don’t know about go fun me, will you expose your case and identity over there?

are you asking the address of the prosecutors office? I think Google will tell you the address and open hour, and Google map will tell you how to go.
Once you get there with your ID and the letter from court or prosecutors office, you may look for an information desk or counter, then you can ask where you can ask your questions. You will get told to go somewhere, then go to the place to ask your questions.

Do you read Chinese?

易科罰金及易服社會勞動
http://pcd.judicial.gov.tw/index.asp?struID=777&navID=1016&contentID=1710

聲請社會勞動須知
https://www.ksc.moj.gov.tw/296454/296731/296738/476815/

如何聲請易科罰金?

2 Likes

i wonder why do you need help with it?
as others has mentioned, you can ask to get legal aid

Ask this guy:

"GoShare head Henry Chiang (姜家煒) told a media briefing in Taipei. “We were surprised that demand was so strong and it greatly exceeded our expectations.”

Chiang was a former executive of bicycle-sharing company oBike."

1 Like

If by “help”, you mean to actually set it up and collect the money, I don’t think that would be appropriate.

If you mean to help you with the technical details or provide advice, I think you could do that here in this thread.