Coo Coo for Techonuts (Dopod 900 and Misc. ChungHwa info)

I’m about to drop a bunch of chedda on a Dopod 900 today. Thought maybe someone could tell me something about it first. :laughing:

I was looking into switching to Zhonghuadianxin (ChungHwa) for me mobile (well, getting another number anyway), because they have a 3G plan that is unlimited for 850 a month.

Then I saw the [Dopod 900]. It looks super sexy to me. 3G, WIFI, Bluetooth, Windows mobile 5.0, SKHYPE!, dual screens (it opens up laptop style.) Seems like it’d be a welcome toy to my techo collection.

Learned some other things when I went down as well.

Random thing #1: Foreigners don’t have any problems getting a plan (last I heard they did, I’ll know for sure later today.) Just showed them me ARC and Jianbaoka. The first lady I asked said you’d need a Sanfenzheng (or something, Taiwan ID.) I said only Taiwanese have those right? She goes “right.” :raspberry:

Random Thing #2: You can move a number from one company to another (as to not lose your old number.) I know that was going down in The States, didn’t know it was like that here.

I just wanted to point out that Pinyin Ninjas (like myself) make autocorrect look silly (or maybe it’s the other way around…)

How much?

Are you 100% sure they will give you an English operating system?

[quote=“Ironman”]How much?

Are you 100% sure they will give you an English operating system?[/quote]
A lot. Depending on the program I (my wife) go(es) with 24,000-29,480.

But I’m giving her my old PDA and 3G phone, so it should all work out (sorta kinda :slight_smile:.)

I’m not too concerned about the language as long as the system language doesn’t interfere with the programs I want to install (which aren’t many, Skype, the Pleco dictionary, and the usual MS stuff that is prepackaged.) When I say interfere, I mean, as long as those programs work (I don’t care if their in Chinese or English.)

Oh, and it only has one screen. A friend pointed out to me that the screen turns around (I though 2 was strange.)

It is still 2 screen in a way as the screen turns to sideways when you open the keyboard out (as I understand it works) or longways when you use it as a normal PDA.

Still, for those of us who only know big and middle with Chinese characters can you check if it comes with English operating system?

Here is my small review from the past couple days of use. First off, no English OSes in Taiwan (at least that’s what ZhongHua told me, the lady called Dopod while I was there.) Maybe English could get put on some how, but it’s not that big a deal for me, so I won’t look into it much.

Battery life sucks if you try to use it as a phone. What I mean is, you can turn off the phone ability and turn it on only when you want to get online. If you leave it off (the phone thing) and turn it on only when you want to get online, battery life is pretty good (went fine all day today, but I charged for a bit when I pit stopped at home.)

So far I’ve rocked out IE for web surfing (works very nice.) Downloaded Skype from the unit and have made a Skype Out call and a PDA to PC called (both worked out well.) I really like using MSN on the go. Also, all your SMSes, MMSes and email go to the same Inbox thingy which is kinda cool.

I haven’t installed any other software on it yet, but the Pleco Dictionary is probably coming up really soon.

Can’t say if it’s worth the money or not (I’m an early adopter of hightech toyz), but it’s a really cool look into what the future has in store for mobile communication. I’ve even had the chance to pull out Google and proove some people wrong when in an argument over some obscure fact (and that’s what makes it all worth while :wink:)

Here is my small review from the past couple days of use. First off, no English OSes in Taiwan (at least that’s what ZhongHua told me, the lady called Dopod while I was there.) Maybe English could get put on some how, but it’s not that big a deal for me, so I won’t look into it much.[/quote]

I had a DOPOD 818 with English bought in Taiwan and now I have the DOPOD 838 with English bought in Taiwan. pdaking.com.tw 2nd floor PaDe Rd. shop GuangHua area but their Taipei Train station area shop also said they could English for me for free. As I said, they never charged extra to change the OS to English, but if you want to change it back to Chinese (To sell it to someone else for example, they charge then). All of the other shops told me no English Dopods.

Now, how to read Chinese SMS on my Dopod with Windows Mobile 5 OS. I found this, but that post originated in 2004, long before WM5 came out.

cool. i didnt know we could ge contracts here. do you know if there are 12 or 24 month contracts?