Cooking Millet

I enjoy cooking millet, and cook it in my rice cooker as that seems to be the best way. Yet, when I cook it, it always has a porridge consistency. Is this the correct result? And could you post ideas on how to cook millet correct.

Add your favorite millet recipe if you have time also :smiley:

Namahottie;

Have you tried soaking the raw millet for about two hours before you cook it (like you do raw beans). That shoud make the cooked millet closer to rice than porridge. The millet should ā€œpuff upā€ to about 3 times the original size after cooking.

nope never soaked it. Thank you. I will do that next time!!! :bravo:

What do you do with cooked millet? Any recipes youā€™d care to share?

Well, Iā€™ve been cooking really simple stuff. Cooking it with a chicken broth or beef with sliced mushrooms. Shiitke kind, the dried oneā€™s you can pick up at your local veggie vendor. What I love to eat it with is stir-fried spinach and garlic,stirred-fried in olive oil. YUmmmmy.

Basically you can use it how you use rice, although the texture and flavor are going to make the dish somewhat different. My personal feeling is that millet is better for heartier dishes. When you use rice with these types of dishes, rice tends to take a back seat. This is probably due to the size of the swollen millet. Soups are also good.

I donā€™t use millet regularly, so I am not an expert by far. Maybe Namahottie will give some better advice regarding recipes.

FFF (Fun Food Fact) - Did you know that millet can be ā€œpoppedā€ like corn (popcorn)?

Edit: Namahottie beat me to the punch.

Namahottie;

Have you tried stir frying the millet after cooking, like Chao Fan? After you stir fry your garlic or other ingredients, throw in an egg, stir around and add the cooked millet and a dash of black pepper.

[quote=ā€œelektroniskā€]Namahottie;

Have you tried stir frying the millet after cooking, like Chao Fan? After you stir fry your garlic or other ingredients, throw in an egg, stir around and add the cooked millet and a dash of black pepper.[/quote]

drooling** Nope will try. Thanks :smiley: :bravo:

I wonder if it could be used like tabbouleh ā€“ like a kind of warm salad thing with chopped tomatoes, peppers, mint, etc? Would that work?
Or cook it down into porridge and fry it in chunks like polenta?

Maybe, maybe not but Iā€™d be interested to know. I think the only time Iā€™ve had millet is in that northern Chinese xiao mi fan or whatever itā€™s called.

[quote=ā€œsandmanā€]I wonder if it could be used like tabbouleh ā€“ like a kind of warm salad thing with chopped tomatoes, peppers, mint, etc? Would that work?
Or cook it down into porridge and fry it in chunks like polenta?

Maybe, maybe not but Iā€™d be interested to know. I think the only time Iā€™ve had millet is in that northern Chinese xiao mi fan or whatever itā€™s called.[/quote]

Thatā€™s the millet I use, the xiao mi fan. I have heard millet being used like polenta and the way Iā€™ve been cooking it, it certain has that potiental. Your idea sounds good. Try it and let us know!