Cooking oil guide/suggestions

I saw a report on the tube yesterday about the lack of fatties in Japan, and it was attributed to the fine oils they use for cooking, among other things.

I’m just curious what some of you culinary wizards might have to say about which oils are good for cooking certain things.

I was under the impression that olive oil was generally the popular choice, but what other options are out there as far as both health considerations and taste, especially when cooking meats and seafood.

Thanks for any info, ideas, or suggestions.

Mer

Over a year now, and still no help or suggestions on cooking oil… :cry:

Doesn’t anyone cook goddammit?!!

Olive oil is not good for any kind of frying as it burns at a low temp. Use grape seed, a very healthy oil and one with a high burning point (great for stir fries). It also adds no flavor. Olive oil is great for salad dressings.

That’s good to know. I will indeed try it. Thanks.

What about grape seed vs. sunflower oil?

Seems ok for me. I just use non-XV for pan-frying and stir-frying, and don’t let the pan get TOO hot, and it works fine. :idunno: Then I use XV the rest of the time, like drizzling on something that has finished cooking, adding to casseroles, making humus, pesto, croutons, salads, and so on. But of course your alternative suggestions are very good, especially for higher temperatures.

Grape seed vs canola vs sunflower? toss-up.
I use sunflower a lot…also grape seed. Mostly depends on whats on sale at the time I walk by the section.

Non XV as a general oil, not deep-frying – works for me. Wife occasionally buys it by mistake. If it doesn’t stink…I use it. And yes, I have found some Olive Oil here that stinks. I throw it out.

Quaker State vs Kendall vs Penzoil…no diff. I just change every 3,000 miles and that means a new filter also.

Synthetic vs non-synthetic…depends…$$$

Heat the skillet before you put in the oil. How hot? Well, if you spit in the skillet the spit should jump around and dance. It it just lays there…keep heating. (Best to do this when no one is watching)

Cast iron skillet, properly seasoned, better than any ol non-stick fry pan. But you have to know how to use and maintain the iron skillet.

Seems ok for me. I just use non-XV for pan-frying and stir-frying, and don’t let the pan get TOO hot, and it works fine. :idunno: Then I use XV the rest of the time, like drizzling on something that has finished cooking, adding to casseroles, making humus, pesto, croutons, salads, and so on. But of course your alternative suggestions are very good, especially for higher temperatures.[/quote]

True, I should have said for higher temps as I too have used olive oil for things like scarmbled eggs.

Thanks guys. The info is muchly appreciated.

corn oil is healthy, grapeseed is healthy but not tasty, peanut oil is very flavorful but use sparingly, sunflower oil is healthy. Olive oil is tasty and I think it makes for low temp frying and generally Italian dishes. Lard sure tastes good but?

Good ol’ lard. :laughing:

Where can I pick up a cast iron skillet?

Check a cooking store or a night market. I have seen some very good iron skillets at traditional markets also.
As always…caveat emptor. (buyer beware)

There’s a whole thread on that here:
forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … 63&start=0