Cops caught me riding on an expressway

[quote=“Mordeth”]
Mobile ones? So they can move their position around? Would those be legal? I thought for it to be legal you needed someone to survey the area first…and then you needed the camera in a bright yellow box…plus I’m guessing the warning signs aren’t a courtesy…I’m guessing that they are required by law before the camera. But Mobile ones wouldn’t have the sign.[/quote]AFAIK they are not required to mark or sign the cameras in any way. On the freeway they like to hide them in or behind those white garbage sacks, behind bushes etc. There’s a regular trap set up on the #3, just over the Tainan county line, where they put the camera in the back of a plain blue Ford van parked in a cop layby.
I think that most of the camera boxes that have a warning sign before them are in fact empty. The cameras are there to make money, the signs are there for road safety… totally separate and often conflicting goals.

[quote=“Mordeth”][quote=“stan”]
I was just wondering how much the fine would be for doing 220-240 or 274?[/quote]

At present the fine would be the same as if you were doing 60 in a 50…about 1200nt.[/quote]

i thought the fine on the freeway went up… and that the low fines were only for ‘slow’ roads… ?? cos i got told my fine would have been much more had it been on a freeway…

I’ve never heard of a 60,000NT fine.

I thought the fine for no licence was 6,000 or 9,000. I can’t remember which off hand, but I know I had a ticket for one of the above amounts for not producing a licence on the spot. I had to go to the Pan Chiao driving circus marquee to prove that I had a licence so I didn’t have to pay the fine. (I had to pay 600NT for not producing ).

I thought the fine for no licence was 6,000 or 9,000. I can’t remember which off hand, but I know I had a ticket for one of the above amounts for not producing a licence on the spot. I had to go to the Banqiao driving circus marquee to prove that I had a licence so I didn’t have to pay the fine. (I had to pay 600NT for not producing ).[/quote]

The fine for no registration is the big money bonanza. Not sure why but it’s Taiwan after all.

I thought the fine for no licence was 6,000 or 9,000. I can’t remember which off hand, but I know I had a ticket for one of the above amounts for not producing a licence on the spot. I had to go to the Banqiao driving circus marquee to prove that I had a licence so I didn’t have to pay the fine. (I had to pay 600NT for not producing ).[/quote]

You are correct…6,000NT

Yeah, he’s probably looking for something for his 12-year-old daughter.[/quote]

As an aside, was riding this weekend with a few friends in some gorgeous weather conditions. After the ride, stopped by a dealer to look at the new Gixxers 600. Beautiful. The salesman told me they’ve been selling them faster than can be restocked. There was only one left at the store, a red one. Wow. Very clean lines, slim, and felt light/manuverable. I liked the display (shows which gear), the signals integrated into the side mirrors (sounds expensive to replace if u bang it up).

Guy at my shop laid his GSXer 1000 at speed and it’s costing him $100,000NT for fairing and display. I agree they are reeeaallly “purty”.

[quote=“x08”][quote=“stan”]
I was just wondering how much the fine would be for doing 220-240 or 274?[/quote]

At present the fine would be the same as if you were doing 60 in a 50…about 1200nt.[/quote]

Last time I was snapped, I was doing 143 in a 70 limit. Standard fine is an extra NT$300 for exceeding the speed limit by more than 30km/h, so NT$1,400 I think. Marvelous! Sneaky buggers, hiding the camera on a straight bit of road with no traffic, no junctions, no houses or buildings of any description, but not a license-shredding experience either.