Cornish Pasties

I’m reading American Gods, and he keeps talking about how great the pasties are, and now I have an unquenchable craving for them.

They don’t have to be great. Something like the ones you buy in plastic wrapping in newsagents in England would be absolutely dandy.

Thanks!

Can you actually eat a pastie?

There you go Brendon. Got myself salivating too…mmmmm.

Mmmmmm…I have no idea where to get them here. I’ve heard you can get them in Cornwall, but I’m not sure.

They were originally used as lunch for hungry tin miners - they were made by the miner’s wives every day. The pasty was partitioned: half of the pasty was savoury and consisted of beef/steak, potato, onion, swedes and pepper (plus other stuff). The other half consisted of pudding - maybe apple pie or something. Real Cornish pasties are delicious. To experience the full experience one should be eaten outside by the sea on a windy day.

Tin Mine

Cornish Pasty

There’s a little bakery in Tienmu on Chungshan road that does pretty good pasties. They’re only 50NT each.

You learn something new everyday - usually a pastie is something a stripper puts on her nips

[quote=“Dangermouse”]They were originally used as lunch for hungry tin miners - they were made by the miner’s wives every day.[/quote]Yes, but when it came to lunch time the miners’ hands were all dirty and covered in poisonous tin ore. So they were made with a ridge of extra ridgy pastry which they held it with and then threw it away to avoid eating the part they had touched. Which is where they got their distinctive shape from.
I did pass a pasty factory in Cornwall, I might have been Ginsters.