Coronavirus - America

Considering suicide is not inevitable like a covid death, and considering covid deaths are much more prevalent than suicides, the choice is pretty easy, if using common sense.

Most parents, myself included would trade their lives for the lives of their children. The same would be for grandparents. I’ve lived a much fuller life than my children. I’d accept that fate without question.

That’s a great story but doesn’t carry a lot of common sense in policy.

1 Like

Well, everyone knows where you stand, that’s for sure.

Exactly. On not forcing things to open and getting people killed, because of an election.

If Trump’s admin had actually done something on covid instead of sitting on it’s hands, who knows where we’d be in terms of being able to open what. They screwed the pooch on all of it, and are opening regardless just because they think it helps their chances. Shameless.

1 Like

GM was in a suite by himself, with no mask on.
Ha ha. What a waste. Another reason no one is watching.

Wouldn’t rely on Twitter for real news

Now this was an out-of-the-box ejection.

Washington Nationals general manager Mike Rizzo was tossed for yelling at umpires from a luxury suite in Atlanta on Sunday, with longtime crew chief Joe West saying, “Enough is enough.”

“I wouldn’t take that from a player. I wouldn’t take that from a manager,” West told The Associated Press. “If it was Donald Trump, I’d eject him, too. But I’d still vote for him.”

The 67-year-old West, on track to set the record for most games umpired in big league history next year, said the crew told the commissioner’s office Friday that Rizzo was hollering at umpires earlier in the Nationals-Braves series.

“We informed the office that if it continued, we’d stop it,” West said. “And we did.”

“I think I heard someone yelling a couple days ago, too,” Freeman said, adding, “There’s no fans in the stands, so we’ve got to keep the yelling to ourselves.”

During the month between August 2nd and September 2nd the US recorded 1.4 million new cases of COVID-19. According to a new study, 19 percent of those cases were caused by the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally in South Dakota.
…
The study’s methodology was relatively straightforward: the authors used anonymized cell phone data to determine where attendees came from and where they returned to. Then they measured increases in COVID-19 in those places. After plotting every county in the US, they found a strong dose-response relationship between increases in COVID-19 and the number of attendees from each county. After a bit of arithmetic, they estimated that Sturgis was responsible for a total of 266,000 new cases in the one-month study period.

Used Harley for sale- cheap. Ready to go, after wiped clean with disinfectant. Proceeds to be used to defray former owner’s funeral costs.

(This is the part where jdsmith rushes in, criticising for alleged cruelty.
No. When you see someone about to do something stupid, and that person is told by those who know not to do it, and he (most likely) does it anyway because he’s a big tough biker not afraid of no Chinese kungflu, and he gets infected and dies because of his own stupidity, you can’t say it’s cruelty to point out that he died from his own stupidity.)

1 Like

Would be like saying Darwinism is mean.

They doubled down, too: had a State Fair right after that.

1 Like

What’s the KIA on the bikers?

One guy died a week ago. Not heard anything since then.

1/266,000?
=0.00038%
Looks like an outbreak.

1 Like

I think the 266,000 figure is complete bollocks.

Death rates are surprisingly low in many locations. More testing, perhaps.

London’s very interesting because Covid isn’t taking off as it is elsewhere in the UK. Could be limited herd immunity.

Major epidemic on no hospitalizations.

It’s a prediction not hard and fast numbers. Still it was very foolhardy meaning that virus had a chance to spread into many new communities . Also if you are a fat older biker you have a fair chance of getting extremely sick and a smaller chance of dying. I don’t know why people would do that I guess they don’t know anybody who got a bad case of covid ?

You should link to where you got that data. Especially the dates and the source.

I dug into it and found the source. Unusually he does seem to have done some homework, although he assumes no hospitalisations due to one source for each college .

For young people it’s not a surprise that they aren’t falling like flies.

Yes. He got all the data from various schools

I’m looking at the data sources now, which are impressively prepared by the various schools (some of them definitely have their shit together ).
It seems they tested all staff early on and then also all students before returning , and many students are not going into classes right now. They note low student /staff ratios.

If you do test positive they don’t allow you into school. So we will not see those people hospitalised in that university.

My brother’s daughter is going to state school on west coast.
Campus opens next week.
They’ve been told to be there on 1 specific day for registration, moving into dorms for nearly 6+ hours, including for testing, etc.
Yes, they have school open, but really for only like 1 class a quarter. The rest online. The ones online are like those basic/intro classes that sometimes fill up an auditorium of 100-500, where they cannot do social spacing.
The ones in-person are classes with obviously 20 students or less.

1 Like