Coronavirus and Religion

Corona virus edition.
Possibilities:

1. God does not exist.
  2. God is malevolent,
  3. God is indifferent.
  4. God does not have the power to prevent this.
  5. It’s for our own good. This is the explanation I expect to see from theists, who will twist themselves into knots saying how God can prevent all this death and suffering, but chooses not to. Question: if you had the vaccine, would you pass it to others? If you are not a monster, of course you would. So why doesn’t God stop this?
2 Likes

You are trying to reason with a theist? huh good one.

8 Likes

The “mystery of faith” is often cited.

1 Like

Yeah, I remember my first year of college

4 Likes

5 Likes

Very easy answer, I posted it in another thread:

1. God is pissed with Xi
9 Likes

Well, (for the theist) God has clearly created DNA, which allows for the possibility of viruses, cancers, etc. So it’s not a new question really, though this brings it into greater focus. I guess most Christians would come to a “fallen world” explanation. God didn’t intend for things to to be this way, but etc.

2 Likes

Did you ask him/her to stop it?

Remember free will kiddies. God doesn’t intervene where they aren’t wanted. :wink:

5 Likes

I find it genuinely odd that American evangelists are being so adamant about not canceling services, shaking hands and hugging during them, and generally denying the impact of the virus.

I get it on an ideological level; they probably think themselves immune to heathen oriental contagions and there’s some American exceptionalism and “it’s a liberal hoax” at play. But it doesn’t make sense to play down this danger when they have nothing to gain from it and so much to lose. The virus eliminating a swath of their community would take away some of their power as a voting bloc, and that’s just about the last thing they want.

1 Like

It sounds like you’re trying to blame God for something that you have no control over.

And that would be ironic if you’re an atheist…

6 Likes

The Christofascists were pretty quiet about Chucklehead’s day of prayer on Sunday. I guess it didn’t seem like a good bet to them even.

3 Likes

Shhhhhhhhh. It’s God’s way of shrinking the voting demographic for Trump.

3 Likes

re. 5, have you ever watched ‘Bruce Almighty’?

No, I just pick choice #1. And the point is, indeed, I don’t have any control over this- if I did I would certainly stop it. But God can stop it any time. He (She, It, They) just chooses not to.

Lots of people did. God is not listening. If a hundred people were begging you for the antidote, would you refuse to give it to any of them because one guy in the back is not?

And how did all those people with the virus exercise their free will- are you saying they chose to get sick?

It’s kind of odd how you say #1, but you keep referring to God as if you doubt that he does not exist.

What exactly are you expecting? For God to magically appear and give a cure? If he did do that, would you believe or would you just say an alien gave us the cure?

1 Like

Are you saying that God doesn’t know how to convince us he gave us the cure?

3 Likes

How do you know God is not listening? Have people been reporting back to you they’re stuck on hold listening to Ava Maria ala elevator music?

Might be good to reread Ecclesiastes at this time.

To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven:

2 A time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up that which is planted;

3 A time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up;

4 A time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance;

5 A time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together; a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing;

6 A time to get, and a time to lose; a time to keep, and a time to cast away;

7 A time to rend, and a time to sew; a time to keep silence, and a time to speak;

8 A time to love, and a time to hate; a time of war, and a time of peace.

8 Likes
3 Likes

What would be the difference?

Or do you think God’s an Earthling? :roll_eyes:

2 Likes