Coronavirus and mental states discussion

The fact that you describe people who have undergone trauma and social isolation as children and later have issues as “losers” makes me think you should read a few more self help books before judging the world, mr judgey judge. :wink:

Hey man, He showed his degree first!

To be honest I don’t know what the discussion here is about.

My infant has been watching Spongebob for the 2.5 years since he came out of the oven and he’s doing just fine. While other parents are dealing with the terrible 2s, mine is super well-behaved. Doesn’t make a peep.

1 Like

Come on JD. I’m here to discuss what is, not some mythical future in which all can be made nice and lovely if only we’d be more non-judgemental.

It seems to me you’re conflating mere survival with a happy, healthy and productive life. Sure, kids can survive all sorts of things. But they might spend every day of their existence wishing that they had not.

If you’d like to set me right on my understanding of childhood development, feel free. But please do it with scientific references, not an ad hominem.

Results can vary dramatically depending on the mental state of the parent. A parent who makes an effort to fill in the missing pieces can probably get 90% of the desired results. A young kid secluded with a parent who is depressed, neurotic, or otherwise not-entirely-compos-mentis is a lot less likely to turn out OK.

Some effects will be quite subtle. I suspect kids who were 0-3 during the pandemic will have impaired visio-spatial skills.

1 Like

Then I’d ask you to do the same. :slight_smile: But with links. :wink:

My OPINION is that you grossly underestimate how resilient children are, and how they do develop mechanisms for dealing with early trauma.

“a lot of young men and women completely unable to cope with adult life” → “And they went ahead and did it anyway” → “isn’t it a real wet dreams for these “they”?” → “They’re going to be a complete pain in the ass to manage” → “problem could be managed in a cost-efficient way. Well, sounds conspiracy”

This context

“Dealing with” trauma is not the same thing as not experiencing that trauma in the first place. Of course they “develop mechanisms” for working around mental deficits - our brains are very good at doing stuff like that. That doesn’t alter the fact that the deficits are there; and developing those workarounds can take a great deal of time and directed effort.

It’s late here now, but I’ll find you some papers to read tomorrow. However, your undergrad degree should have involved essentially the same content as mine, so you ought to be already familiar with most of the basics.

I just fail to see how this is a conspiracy. :idunno:

And many sort themselves out. :idunno:

Never mind :wink:

1 Like

And we, their elders and betters, those who are supposedly charged with their care, put them in the position where they will have to do that.

Humanity should be fecking ashamed of itself, that’s all I’m saying.

I tend not to speak for to or against humanity in general. I read books. There have been a LOT of good apes. However I do realize that trauma, especially something on a massive scale as the one we’re still in, makes people behave oddly, even when they think they’re fine, and just responding to a post online. Hope we still good for that beer one of these days. :wink: