Coronavirus - China

@SuperS54 basically answer me this question:

“There are around 20 inbound flights per day from China, why do we basically never get inbound cases from there?”

I check the cases everyday.

City wide lockdown?

What numbers?

I don’t believe government numbers or Taobao numbers. I only listen to what told to me by companies or people working there. Retail is booming right now and brands are on a hiring drive. If you are privvy to more information or data, I’m really open to it.

You think the Chinese government is publishing low numbers to cover up how well the economy is doing?

I dont believe government numbers on the economy or retail sales. I dont believe the ones released by Alibaba or JD, as the government has vested interest in creating consumer confidence.

I only believe figures from brands and third parties and try my best to get as much information as possible to gauge the actual situation.

You dont think the economy has recovered in China?

You have to give some actual data.

My friend is a local there.

1 Like

Ah maybe it was because to Beijing then, as far as I know people are traveling a lot.

I know October week was huge

https://www.google.com/amp/s/mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSL4N2H60Z7

Which part did you not understand?

:thinking:

Do u think the economy hasn’t recovered?

And you think tourism hasnt recovered? Where is your evidence?

Was reading this McKinsey report the other day

And im open to evidence that says otherwise

1 Like

I have friends in a pair of districts in Beijing who say they have stocked up because rules change on a regular basis. One said that her son has been home for random weeks here and there because the school is in another district and students from outside the area weren’t permitted in. Both have jobs in which they use private VPNs that should get around censors.

Another friend in the Shanghai area says that she’s been home more days than in the office over the past month - same deal. She refuses to talk about such things on WeChat though I hear from her when she’s in Hong Kong.

Officially, things are fine. Economy improving. Pollution improved for the sixth consecutive year, directly in line with gov’t projections. Xi is looking lean and spry. Chinese food - the best in the world.

3 Likes

Again this is the pertinent point.

Yeah I wont talk about anything on WeChat. I havent heard that about Beijing, but obviously there are still outbreaks in China and they will overreact to all of them.

This is true though, I know this from customers and brands own data. Im in a few job groups on WeChat and lots of opportunities in the last few months

3rd time lucky?

Holy Cathay Newman I said no such thing. The graph you provided would certainly indicate that tourism hasn’t recovered though!

1 Like

Q3 and Q4 were good and in some industries amazing. The trend right now is good

Im not sure exactly what you want to say about tourism. Circumstantial evidence and then also data that I have seen from work, show me that tourism is strong. That chart was up to September and the big boom was October. Also bear in mind that this is without the foreign tourists they would usually have.

Looking at your scribblings on the picture and I am confused. I thought we are talking about domestic tourism.

You are a bit Cathy Newman in that you seem to be doing a lot to obfusciate and avoid answering the question. Its hard to decipher what you actually want to say and I can definitely see what you dont want to say.

And more to the point, you havent shown me at all that China doesnt have things under control. I dont really care, but from all the data I have seen, plus common-sense logic it appears that they have control of things. You originally tagged my name to prove some point, but not sure what.

International hasn’t, because other countries are undergoing outbreaks (and cruise ships are banned). It’s like saying the Taiwan tourism hasn’t recovered because international arrivals are down. Yes, they are, but the domestic market is doing fine.

1 Like

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: You might want to Google Cathay Newman :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

So why provide a chart that only goes up to September? You still haven’t provided this “data from work” that you offered previously.

You stated “tourism”.

Going well out of your way to push China worship for someone who doesn’t care.

“China worship”-means someone who can look at China and maybe not like the government but think it’s not on the verge of collapse.

2 Likes

You understand that it’s possible to love Taiwan, hate the CCP and and accept that they have done a decent job fighting COVID or appreciate some of their innovation? These things are not mutually exclusive.

I hate the CCP, not really getting the China worship thing or where you are getting that from anything I wrote.

You claimed that COVID in China is “out of control” but have failed to give aNy more evidence than “China bad”. Reason brought up Tourism and economy as they are good barometer that the situation is OK there and support the general consensus in Western and Chinese media that it is.

The reason I said that you seem more like Cathy Newman is that you don’t seem to want to discuss the issue or answer my questions and feel happy just bleating on your own narrative.

3 Likes

People just want to read what they want to hear. Same with the Trump supporters etc

That’s the problem with the Falun Gong Media, it’s just people masturbating over fake anti China news because makes them happy. Like the three gorges dam collapsing, all the flg media and a lot of Taiwanese media as well were making out was inevitable. Taiwanese were getting so excited on social Media, but it was never going to happen.

Make the CCP your enemy is right, but need to objectively understand them.

Actually I’m really worried about this, we are moving towards global cold war with China but there is a real deficit in information from the West on China, and they really understand us.

Media isn’t telling people much about China and the people don’t want to hear. Especially they want Chinese or asians in general to be “model minority”, hard working, don’t complain and sexually unattractive.

It’s hard to not know everything about western culture… hollywood and the media keeps screaming them out all the time.

Do you know China actually loves Trump? You know nothing makes them happier to see Trump get a second term. You know why? Because they know what Trump is all about and they know how to deal with him.