Coronavirus crisis open thread - March

Good news! The pediatric cases have been insanely low, which have lead doctors to believe that kids aren’t really prone to getting too many symptoms! Yey for this here girl

7 Likes

He’s made a Go Fund Me page to pay for his travel and stay in the US? I say he should just Go Back to China!

2 Likes

Hamlet 2.2.467-8

This is the only reason I’m not completely freaking out. If it’s a choice, then I’d much rather I suffer than my child.

Similar to chickenpox, which is comparatively mild in kids and can be deadly in adults.

2 Likes

Anyone know why it doesn’t seem to give children much symptoms?

even virologists don’t know but this virus seems to be especially dangerous to those who are elderly and or have other diseases or in poor health.
not always though.

They could presumably still be serving as vectors though, spreading it everywhere while being symptomless, right?

7 Likes

I think many kids that test positive don’t show any symptoms but still can spread it.

On the side note, my upstairs neighbors cough has gotten considerably worse.

1 Like
2 Likes

Yeah, I was just thinking exactly the same thing about my downstairs neighbor literally 30 min ago… :grimacing:

CDC says enhanced hearing perception is one positive benefit of coronavirus. :wink:

7 Likes

How many cases in your neck of the woods now? Use a toothpick or card when pressing the elevator button in your building.

Obviously, this is a shit situation. But let’s talk about silver linings. The pollution over China has cleared a lot. I’d guess the reduced air traffic and tourism around the world will also have an impact.

3 Likes

Great conditions for a study about air travel impacts

3 Likes

There were a couple small studies done when all flights were grounded in the USA after 9/11. Some surprising findings were revealed, especially related to whales of all things.

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2018/11/what-can-9-11-tell-us-about-whales/

1 Like

Nice

1 Like

I don’t think that many in Tuscany. Maybe 10? It’s still mostly in the north.

I suspect that a few Airlines will cease to exist soon. Apparently Hong Kong Airport is a parking lot for many at present, no doubt many in China as well. Any in financial trouble will no doubt be looking for a bailout which probably wont happen - Hong Kong Airlines would seem to be shaky at least and I bet Cathay is even under a lot of pain with most of their Asian flights grounded.

1 Like

I doubt any country would let their major airlines just collapse. What makes you think they won’t get bailed out? They get handed so many subsidies on the regular.

1 Like

Wouldn’t bet the farm on it. There’s been a few major airlines that have gone out of business in the past couple decades. TWA immediately comes to mind. It used to be huge, but went through some financial trouble and then its image never recovered from the TWA 800 explosion. As for subsidies, governments will only prop up companies or industries as long as it makes sense. At a certain point, they’ll cut their losses.

Major airlines might be okay, but a few of the smaller, budget airlines will certainly go out of business.