Coronavirus crisis open thread - March

But remember the SARS problem wasn’t that large scale compared to this virus, and I think it kinda blew up around late 2002 or something, and pretty much wound down around mid 2003.

Same family really, but Sars was more deadly but less contagious, making it less dangerous.
The host was rapidly simply dead or too sick to walk around and infect others. Easier to be found by the heatlh care system also.

1 Like

perhaps the virus evolve to be less deadly so it could infect more people?

Like flu/cold isn’t too deadly but is everywhere. But Ebola on the other hand kills so fast that it couldn’t spread beyond a village.

SARS was probably eliminated because of control measures and limits on transmission, not warmer weather.

SARS did not die of natural causes. It was killed by extremely intense public health interventions in mainland Chinese cities, Hong Kong, Vietnam, Thailand, Canada and elsewhere.

The link below also spends time discussion the chance that warmer weather will help. Summing up: “The size of the change is expected to be modest, and not enough to stop transmission on its own.”

3 Likes

Can foreigners register to have masks delivered from the government?

You may have more luck asking in a different thread that has a bunch of discussion of mask orders - things get buried in this one really quickly!:

3 Likes

Yes but you need NHI and a card reader.

1 Like

My Son has been layed off work for 2 weeks or longer, UK saying Taiwan safe to travel to, I suggested he can come and visit.
What do others think?
I think Taiwan is going to get a un expected spur of it next 2 weeks, hopefully not but my thoughts.

Not so sure about that.
Singapore. New cases on March 12: 9
Total number of cases: 187
Today’s high temp: 33C
Today’s low temp: 27C

Edit: Add 13 new cases today

UK saying is need the cold to kill the germs!

FIFY!

Indonesia’s official case total progression;
2 》4》 6 》19 》27》34》69
4 deaths
Temps roughly the same as Singapore.
75-95% humidity.

1 Like

Yes, humidity in Singapore and Indonesia makes Taiwan feel like a desert

2 Likes

Probably best not to, but if he does then he should take a direct flight with CAL from Gatwick. Minimises risk of getting quarantined either way.

I was thinking the same :grinning: have looked at Emirates as well is cheaper? Dubai be OK I think.

Indonesian president admits that his government is not releasing all information regarding Coronavirus or positive cases to public, in order to stem panic.

4 Likes

Our home affairs minister (interior minister), once a candidate for the prime ministership, got infected with the virus. Australia is in panic mode. We’re told not to fly overseas.

Is this the guy who’s responsible for immigration policies :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Yes; yes he is.

I… have no further comments.

1 Like