Coronavirus crisis open thread - March

Truth be told they were lining up at the gun stores under Bush after 9/11. And he had a high approval rate.

Even my Gore voting self, threw him a bit of support. Until the war.

It’s propaganda. Period.

And it’s SARS-Covid-2. Using the scientific term negates the potential of racism toward Asian Americans and makes one look well-read and intelligent.

The latter is something Trump can’t even muster up , let alone be.

2 Likes

I have no idea why it’s such a big deal. It’s from China. Or do you disagree?

1 Like

[quote=“Andrew0409, post:2791, topic:189162, full:true”]

I have no idea why you’re being so selective in discussing Trump’s erroneous words today.

Well, the CDC does have a knack for wasting a lot of money on unachievable or non-related matters:

The last time the CDC had a serious workout was six years ago during the Ebola crisis. Back then CDC guidelines allowed medical personnel infected with Ebola to avoid a quarantine and interact with Americans until they showed undeniable symptoms of the disease. There were no protocols in place for treating the potentially infected

CDC personnel had managed to mishandle Ebola virus samples, accidentally sending samples of the live virus to CDC labs.

CDC has a history of wasting money on everything from a $106 million visitor’s center with Japanese gardens, a $200K gym, a transgender beauty pageant, not to mention promoting bike paths.

In 1999, the CDC announced a plan to end syphilis in 5 years. The Clinton era National Plan to Eliminate Syphilis was an unserious social welfare proposal that wanted to battle racism and was such a success that by 2018, syphilis rates had hit a new record high.

In 2016, Obama allowed Joe Biden to use the CDC for his Cancer Moonshot political stunt. “If I’m elected president you’re gonna see single most important thing that changes America, we’re going to cure cancer,” Biden promised last year. Joe Biden can’t cure anything. Including his own mental state. But, like Hillary, he can waste the resources of the CDC to make false promises to voters while weakening its core competencies.

President Trump is right to hold the Obama administration accountable for the woeful state of the CDC. But the problem didn’t begin in 2008. And it isn’t limited to the CDC, but to the entire government.

So, the CDC has lots of skeletons in its closet and not so efficient as you make it out to be

Let’s not forget the criminal role of conservative media in this. Together with Trump, they endangered American lives by downplaying this. I think Fox and Trump owe the American people an apology. The record shows Trump was warned in January.

12 Likes

Hopefully there will be a conservative media to challenge Fox News. I can’t stand Fox News.

2 Likes

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2020/03/12/weeks-conservative-media-joined-trump-downplaying-threat-coronavirus/?outputType=amp

3 Likes

How do I pin your comment?

1 Like

and this time it’s only partly my fault :banana:

good luck to the mods in the next 14 to 30 days. this was only day 1 of self-quarantining.

1 Like

Should we wait for today’s 14:30 Chen 時中 press conference to announce the lockdown? Should we make a bet on when the announcement is going to be if not today? :popcorn:

4 Likes

Why does Taiwan need a lockdown?

2 Likes

B-but i didn’t get a chance to panic buy :pensive:. How will the government deal with the chimp-outs at the grocery stores that will inevitably come with the announcement of a lockdown? How will they make sure everyone has enough food and we don’t have hoarding issues? I have a lot of elder tai-ke neighbors that won’t that take shit seriously and prepare properly, other than buying one pack of instant noodles and a bottle booze. I worry about what will happen to them without supplies/ect…

Will we have to use our health card numbers to be able to purchase 2 packs of ramen a week like the mask situation?

1 Like

from the pictures here, i thought this has already begun. there’s also ubereats and all those biandang places providing delivery service, i don’t think anyone will/should starve to death.

Think about all the Ahma rushing to Costco to fill dozens of bags full of onions and fighting each other…it will be glorious, why even try to stop them?

Sounds like the plot of most Spike Lee movies, at least for some of the side characters.

2 Likes

I think if everyone in taiwan does a moderate, non panic stock up, there still won’t be enough food to go around. 90% of my Taiwanese friends keep nothing at home and eat every meal out at restaurants/lunchbox places. Talking to them a lot of them aren’t used to the idea of stocking up food, other then the Doritos, candies, and beer they grab when a typhoon is coming.

I just worry there isn’t enough stock at PX/carefours in taiwan to deal with everyone buying a weeks worth of food. Taiwanese aren’t know to be big grocery haulers. The grocery store/food at grocery store per capita ratio isn’t that good here as a lot of people eat out, or buy small amounts of groceries just for the meal they are cooking that evening.

3 Likes

GUYS! There are political related coronavirus threads. C’mon… mods?

14 Likes

Sorry :disappointed:

1 Like

What is happening with this forum? Are you guys living in USA or Taiwan. There are so many post about what is happening in states, what is Trump doing…bla…bla… Ofc what is happening internationaly matters to Taiwan but reading this forum seems I’m in Houston not Taipei

5 Likes

As I said earlier test test test. Somewhat positive news.

The government here also needs to massively ramp up it’s population testing to ensure there is no transmission . Young people can have the virus and have no clue .They should also test all returnees even though they are being quarantined anyway.

8 Likes