Coronavirus crisis open thread - March

I love it!

1 Like

Part of that was the church members but yes that’s what they say, young people are often asymptomatic.

1 Like

That many people in the twenty-year-old age bracket got roped into the weirdo cults? Not the demographic I’d expect…

3 Likes

That’s true…but I don’t know then why they wouldn’t just ban all (or all non-essential) travel, and/or require quarantine for anyone at all coming back in. Focusing on teachers only seems a bit arbitrary, if everyone else working with the public/kids (convenience store workers, healthcare workers, restaurant staff, etc.) can still travel. Or even people not working with the public, just in an office. Or people with kids.

2 Likes

I don’t know why either. But to be fair, I think most school aged kids spend more time with their teachers than they do their own parents in this country. They might see mom and dad an hour a day before going to bed.

6 Likes

Sorry my chinese is poor. does this include the buxibans?

Hmmm…I’m scanning the news now but I’m not seeing any specific mention. I’m not sure since the buxibans have been exempt from these sorts of things before…

How’s Russia doing?

1 Like

Russia is doing great, unless you want to be sent out to a Siberian gulag.

1 Like

Probably very entertained!

63 cases, looks like.

7 Likes

Very good. Soon Putin is президент for life.

1 Like

That’s great’'only 63 cases and the East is close to China. All Hail Putin!.

It’s funny that if you enter that into Google it just comes up with a photo of the grinning orange moron. (I realize now that it’s just Russian for “president”)

1 Like

More hardship than an untimely death?

I think they immediately banned all travels to and from China.

1 Like

Even if you can, why on earth would you?

While it might not be a bad idea to do so, but I am not aware that mayors have this kind of authority.

I think you’re right about the immediate ban. Still, Russians don’t really have a reputation for being the most xenophilic people on earth* - I don’t think I’d have been keen to travel there as a Chinese tourist during the initial coronavirus outbreak…

(*Possibly outdated information - this might have changed in the last 10 years since I’ve thought about it. And I’ve personally enjoyed meeting pretty much every Russian I’ve ever met, although all of those were outside of Russia.)

https://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/moscow-targets-chinese-raids-amid-virus-fears-69157387

Cossacks patrol Yekaterinburg