Coronavirus crisis open thread - March

and wonderful girth to boot

I don’t think it’s just Germany in regard to No of cases vs deaths. Different countries have different ideas of who to test and who not to. I think Taiwan has a set of ‘questions’ that require a yes answer to all before a test is carried out. One poster here yesterday went through that.

We’ll find out in a few months time what the real mortality rate is. Too many variables at the moment.

6 Likes

Good idea. It would help, so important local developments don’t get buried in international stuff.

1 Like

2012 London Olympics 100m breaststroke gold medalist Cameron van der Burgh, is confirmed to have COVID-19, and reveals that even just walking leaves him exhausted now.

He is only 31.

One of the oddest things about this virus, especially now that we have reports from countries that are not china, is the vast difference in symptoms that show up in people. I’ve read of many under 40yo who got it, recovered and described it as a regular flu, and others in good health who were waking up at night unable to breath. It’s not like Chicken Pox or other diseases that are essentially the same for everyone.

Canada has stated it won’t send its athletes to the Olympics unless it is postponed.

https://globalnews.ca/news/6716555/canadian-olympic-committee-tokyo-games/

3 Likes

It clearly is going to get postponed, but theoretically couldn’t the Canadian athletes go of their own volition? It seems a bit off for whichever Canadian controlling body makes the decision to ban them.

Australia too

1 Like

U.S Swimming Association or whatever the main body is called started this 2-3 days ago by recommending the Games be delayed (as swimmers need to “taper” in time for big events, and the virus has closed pools everywhere). Canada probably just said, I’ll up the ante.

They might be able to go on their own–I don’t really know. One thing I read was that a lot of the training facilities are closed so they can’t get themselves in peak condition for the Olympics.

I’ll set up a Taiwan-only thread. If anyone gets off that topic, please flag it–I may not be keeping a close eye on it. This will stay an open thread for any and all virus-related discussion, that being the only limitation. Please don’t ask people to post any virus-related matters elsewhere–feel free to flag to anything you think seems amiss.

10 Likes

Also one of the scariest things about it.

a month ago i told people on social media to be vigilant and (european) governments should do more to prevent the outbreak here, i only received headshakes and funny comments, how do you want to prevent this, cutting off boarders? yeah?!?. now that it’s here, everybody’s saying, yeah but asian countries work differently, you know, the old individualism vs collectivism debate. what is so goddamn hard to understand, there are stupid people in every country. and it’s the government’s job to hold these under control. i’ve heard silly comments like, those asians know how to stand in a queue, they don’t stockpile tp like us :man_facepalming:

3 Likes

Just heard a guy hack, spit then snot drive outside my window. Seriously we have no hope.

3 Likes

And I thought having one for each month would be enough already… :rofl:

4 Likes

No, the discussions will be quarantined into smaller and smaller sub-topics until forumosa will be about the virus only. (And some stuff about Trump thrown in.)

6 Likes

OK

Facemasks, Hand Hygiene, and Influenza among Young Adults: A Randomized Intervention Trial

These were college students, but some of them were probably medical students. Close enough?

"There were no substantial reductions in ILI or laboratory-confirmed influenza in the face mask only group compared to the control. Our ILI findings are consistent with results from the first year of this two-year study and a previous literature review on studies examining the efficacy of mask use in reducing transmission of respiratory viruses.

Ïf they get really really small, they’ll be too small to contain the virus particle, and it’ll disappear up its own pandemic.

Trump would be excluded several iterative one-pill-makes-you-smaller-and-the-other-makes-you-tall cycles before that, because he’s no lightweight.

Et voila! Problem solved.

4 Likes

15,000 cases in NYC. That really escalated. Should have locked down weeks ago.