Coronavirus Crisis Open Thread May-September

I’ve been wondering if Forumosa should ban the conspiracy theorists spreading falsehoods about corona virus- not from other subjects on other threads; just this one, where their misinformation can kill. I’ve come to the conclusion: no, because nobody listens to their ranting anyway. Still. it’s a thought.

4 Likes

You can start with the WHO, or are you on board with them now?
‘Self taught health expert’ Bill Gates awaits you.
EDIT: Wrote WTO instead of WHO

1 Like

I had enough it this time, such a load of bullshit!!

You call out these conspiracy theorists they don’t even bother defending the random shit they posted…They already moved onto posting more shite somewhere else…

They always seem to bunch their conspiracy panties together…It’s like the whole world is arraigned against them …Vaccines…Tests…Health experts…morons!!!

IF YOU SEE SOMETHING ON FB OR TWITTER IT DOESNT MEAN ITS TRUE. ITS OFTEN POSTED BY BOTS.

Don’t be a moron used by a computer lol.

1 Like

rationalwiki is a great medium if you are a swamp Marxist.

Yup. It’s all from the WTO—that notorious TRADE ORGANIZATION is behind COVID-19. :rofl:

Next!

Guy

1 Like

Thanks for pointing out my error.

Hilarious :joy::joy::joy:
Maybe he meant the cheesy Taiwan TV show.

Sweden’s been quietly removed from the UK’s quarantine list. It appears that having 13 people in ICU and zero deaths a day is finally enough to be considered safe.

3 Likes

It’s something to chew on, but Sweden is also pushing social distancing in a big way. It’s not that different than many other countries is it ?
For some reason they aren’t seeing a ramp up of cases that you see in other countries though . Probably because they have less poor neighbourhoods in general and smaller numbers of shared accommodation units and they are truly able to keep distance . Until I see some hard data to supporting herd immunity I wouldn’t bet on it being a big factor.
They also do contact tracing in Sweden .

Everyone in Sweden is currently advised to work from home if possible until at least the end of 2020. That applies regardless of your job, risk level, or contacts, but it is subject to what is agreed between employees and their workplaces.

People whose jobs cannot be done from home will in general still be going into work (although those in risk groups are eligible for compensation if they cannot do so), while other workplaces require employees to come into the office at a limited timetable or for certain meetings or tasks.

Another interesting one is they don’t wear masks much although the karolinska institute is now recommending people to wear masks there.

It also seems that they have implemented local lockdown in Sweden.

https://www.ft.com/content/9a1e118f-a4ef-43ab-a981-58b8bd35c0e1

The link require subscription so I can’t read it but I haven’t heard anything about a local lockdown here, what is it about?

It references this article for details,can’t read it myself.

https://www.ft.com/content/7acfc5b8-d96f-455b-9f36-b70dc850428f

This should open:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.ft.com/content/9a1e118f-a4ef-43ab-a981-58b8bd35c0e1

No, it still doesn’t. If you go into Google and then type in “local lockdown Sweden” you should get it for free. It’s how the FT attracts new subscribers.

Here’s one they may have referenced.

1 Like

Sweden had no national lockdown and most of the social distancing measures were voluntary. You consider that to be “not that different”?

Yeah, I found it, thanks. Odd that it’s not possible to link it.

I’m confused by the term “local lockdown”, I thought it referred to a region/geographical something, but maybe they mean something else.

Edit: Thanks for the second link @Brianjones, very interesting how it’s reported in different ways depending on where you get your news.

Because when I look at the details, Sweden still takes social distancing and other measures very seriously. Everybody who can is recommended to work from home No bar service. No groups bigger than 50 etc. It’s not particularly normal except for they didn’t have a national lockdown. They are fortunate the disease isn’t spreading rapidly like many countries right now.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/europe/sweden/articles/what-life-is-really-like-in-lockdown-hating-sweden/

1 Like

State of this:

1 Like

I think I read that Israel is going back on lockdown.

Dunno how France will do with the jump in cases from 5000 to 10 thousand a day. UK going from 1000 to 3000 a day and counting. Spain 12 thousand a day.

And please do not ask about Latin America.

1 Like

What are the current daily death rates? They seem very low in the UK. Single figures.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?source=hp&ei=y99gX5_yJqimmAWa_rjwBw&q=Covid+deaths+yesterday+uk&oq=Covid+deaths+yesterday+uk&gs_lcp=ChFtb2JpbGUtZ3dzLXdpei1ocBADMgUIABDEAjICCAAyAggAMgIIADICCAA6BAgAEAo6CAgAEBYQChAeULkVWKhrYKVvaABwAHgAgAGTAYgB-g-SAQQxOS42mAEAoAEBsAEA&sclient=mobile-gws-wiz-hp

1 Like

Daily death numbers are staying low in the U.K. for now at least. We need to give it a few weeks.