Coronavirus Mental Health/Support Thread

I got accepted into King’s college. They are of course not as prestigious as oxford or LSE, but certainly well known internationally and respected. However, their finance program isn’t what they’re known for. So I think I will go to a program well respected for finance. I think Kings is known for other things like medicine.

1 Like

Yeah, I agree with your thinking. King’s is definitely respected, but not to the extent that having a degree from there will make your CV. I’m sure their finance department is still good and respected, but I would focus my attention on the institute that has the best reputation for the subject I want to study. If you’re looking to do a PhD, you might also want to consider who you want to be mentored by and what modules are on offer (modules might be a factor even if you’re not thinking of doing a PhD).

1 Like

Humor is helping me get thru this period.

3 Likes

I haven’t suffered a lot compared to many but I already miss my old (work) life intensely at times…Never knew I had it so good. Maybe it will never go back to the way it was. And family are inaccessible. It’s a rough year. And Summer in Taiwan has its ups and downs.

8 Likes

I’m missing my parents pretty bad. It’s killing me to not feel sure about when I’ll be able to see them again.

7 Likes

I went there lol.

1 Like

One upside to this situation is that we video call with our daughter daily now. She is at school on the other side of the world. Most days she says the same thing, “Pa, I just want to come home”.
If it is any consolation, it is a great comfort for parents that their child is in a safe environment. As you are, and as our daughter is.
Hang in there. :pray:

3 Likes

Really good school. But incredibly expensive. Pretty much US priced tuition.

1 Like

No it wasn’t. Yeah it was expensive but not US level.

My program was 45k in USD for a year. Which is on par with US for good schools. Maybe some programs are cheaper.

I guess business school is more expensive.

It’s good practice for teaching students how to ruthlessly extract money from others haha

2 Likes

With all the talks about the protecting the elderly and vulnerable people. What about young people? How many young people must suffer with their future damaged?

1 Like

Yes, the health aspects mostly affect the elderly. The career, financial and social aspects mostly affect the young. It’s a horrible plague that will destroy many lives for varying reasons. Some will die. Some will face financial ruin after their business shuts down.

Are you doing okay, @Andrew0409?

3 Likes

Just bored, but just 5 more days and I can walk around freely. Looking forward to eating all the foods I’ve been craving while in Italy once I get out. Thanks for checking in.

1 Like

I’m happy to see that many of my peers that lost their jobs have ventured into starting their own business with their savings. I also saw many now finding a new job they like even more with the economy opening up and business slowly hiring talented people to help they get back. The one positive seems to be people have become more open to options for careers and finding things they have been wanting to do but never wanted to risk leaving their jobs for.

I have also take this time to start a eCommerce business, partially funded by the stimulus check which is nice.

1 Like

My best friend in the US lost his job when the first wave of covid hit in March. He works in IT.

He miraculously found a new job in June when things seemed to be opening up again.

Well… with this second wave (or whatever you want to call it) he just lost that job as well. He has two kids. :disappointed:

6 Likes

Anyone feeling really down lately. UK lockdowns and semi lockdown tier system is just miserable. Really envy you guys/girls in Taiwan.

1 Like

My nephew just started a new job at a factory. It’s a step down from what he was doing previously (he lost his job right when things hit) but he’s so grateful to be getting out of the house and for that paycheck. He lives with my sister but had house purchase and marriage plans before he lost his job. How many stories like this and much, much worse are there in the US? Meanwhile, the finance sector has had one it best years ever. (Can’t find that Reuters article I read this morning, but it’s true.)

2 Likes