Coronavirus Mental Health/Support Thread

Maybe because I’ve had it worse in terms of services availability during war or quakes, I have no big deal with the lockdown. My house is very cozy. And my loved ones are here. Not going out means safety. But I am really scared of getting the bug. I have six mouths to feed!

Don[t know what to do if I need to go out. Walk to Taipei?

1 Like
2 Likes

This is probably the worst period of my 20 plus years in Taiwan . It is even worse than the year that I wasn’t working at all cos I was doing other stuff that year.
I’ve been working from home for a year solid already so even that isn’t new to me.
Anybody else got that groundhog day feeling yet.
I’m thinking of an exit strategy that involves spending a lot of money. I can’t even move to another country in Asia because almost everywhere is messed up also.

7 Likes

I’ve noticed that it’s really easy to go up (when the numbers look OK) then down (when they don’t). Roller coaster like feelings.

Speaking with friends and family in North America, I heard that some of them experience this too.

Guy

3 Likes

I’m feeling a bit down in the dumps at the moment. Being stuck at home is no fun and I keep worrying about stupid stuff at night so can’t sleep. Not like me at all.

7 Likes

I am out like an elephant most nights. I use anyway possible to sleep. I hate the evening now. On a side not the Pizza Hut Hawaiian with extra cheese was great :grinning:
There could be worse things happening like a full scale PLA invasion or Korean Fish making a come back. You.might even get invited into the secret Brexit thread for the Irish or Irish in denial people😀 @Liam_Og

4 Likes

Cabin fever! Small little arguments happening left and right. Kids and a dog making constant noise. I’m in the car now with the kids eating Haagen Dazs and listening to music. Well, if my daughter’s American pop tunes can be called music, that is.

10 Likes

Now you have me curious , what is she listening to :rofl:

2 Likes

Old Town Road now. Really bad.

2 Likes

At least she didn’t ask you to dance to that in Just Dance

1 Like

I try to unplug from covid talk/news and go more entertainment generally, maybe before bed get some kind of routine going with tea, stretching, breathing, whatever. Booze I wouldn’t recommend personally, maybe you fall asleep faster, makes me wake up too early.

If I have sleep issues doing this stuff does help, of course my memory is short and if it works one night, the next night I’ll assume I can not do it and be fine.

Also, apparently the earlier in the day you expose yourself to sunlight, the easier the sleep the next night. I find it to be true, as opposed to talking a walk later in the day. The hard part is if my sleep sucked, last thing I want to do is exercise early.

Hope you’re feeling/sleeping better.

4 Likes

I’m fine. It’s not an issue for me, just a new experience, but thank you anyway. The problem with getting sunlight is the bizarre strong discouragement to being outside that Taiwan seems to have copied.

3 Likes

It gets better. I work in a relatively senior position in the UK. Separated from family who love living in Aquitaine in France, as well as older stepkids getting doctorates in Vancouver/Vancouver island. When the pandemic first hit in March 2020, I left my shared accommodation in the UK to retreat to the less population density of a pad in the Cotswolds. The first few months were surreal. I then WFH in France with family for 6 months but was promoted and needed to return to the UK, which I did when cases were at 50,000 new cases a day in Dec 2020. In other words, lived in 3 different places and 2 different countries, including numerous lockdowns.

Been a rollercoaster of a ride but those first few months were by far the hardest. I remember spraying my door handle when going out, wearing masks and visors, and just venturing out to Morrisons for groceries once a week.

1 Like

@BiggusDickus we are not worthy to receive you, but only say the word and we shall be healed. Man that sounded kinda weird :laughing:

1 Like

Geez if you guys are handling this this miserably how would you have fared had you been in your home country last year?

1 Like

With guiness, Cannabis , social hand outs , and dog walking. Not forgetting the good ol English and Irish breakfasts.

8 Likes

What did happen in our home countries last year? I read about increases in domestic violence, depression, and even suicide, but never really paid too much attention to these news articles. Maybe it would be good to learn how people outside of Taiwan coped in 2020.

I had the “wonderful” luck of experiencing it in my home country up to the end of October last year AND here. Maybe I should buy a lottery ticket. :sweat_smile: :joy:

4 Likes

I was wondering who was responsible for this. :rofl:

At least you have some valuable experience on how to handle things, unlike us newbies!

Guy

1 Like

Exercise. I am finding this to be most helpful. It’s time to crank things up to 4x per week instead of my current 2 or 3. My hike today. Misty Mountain Hop.

9 Likes