Coronavirus Open Thread 2021

It’s accurate if you read through this thread.

For the longest time people were denying that significantly more deaths would be observed in 2020…Then when they are categorically observed…

‘TWAS THE LOCKDOWN NOT COVID WOT DID IT’

Your really couldn’t make some of this stuff up.

Fair point, but consider what it is we’re trying to gauge here: excess deaths. All of the factors you mention are more-or-less stable since 2000, so it’s reasonable to go back that far for comparison purposes.

I agree that comparing with 1940 is meaningless.

I suggested this somewhere back in Volume XVIII :slight_smile:

Various people have been trying to put a figure on this. It’s definitely non-zero. Some are suggesting it’s way, way more than COVID-19 deaths.

1 Like

Not seeing that from this thread, I’m afraid.

Quote from @finley 12 days ago

We’ll need to wait for the 2020 calculation to drop out of the bottom of the ONS, but my guess is that it’ll show a modest blip - perhaps comparable to the 1990s.

He was close. Situation was actually better than a return to the 1990s, more comparable to a decade later.

2 Likes

No, you’re misconstruing this. You’re presenting a gross oversimplification as a strawman. Nobody here is saying there’s no such thing as COVID, or that nobody’s dying of it.

3 Likes

There were a lot however the count data has already been shown to be unreliable, how unreliable is not yet clear.

Too many other factors at play.

I’m not your buddy.

As pointed out, there are many other factors. Covid absolutely played a part however it’s quite a tabloid press approach to claim all were caused by Covid.

Were there less traffic accidents leading to deaths? As I did mention, they are many more factors other than Covid to consider.

I think you are the only one making that statement.

I don’t see anyone making that statement, it’s very clear many people died after contracting Covid 19.

1 Like

Lots were saying there weren’t going to be more deaths in 2020.

And there were, almost 100k more, 13.7% more.

That’s not a blip.

So what’s this mean then ?

Because…You are suddenly a statistical expert I suppose and for some reason this year the total death number suddenly became ‘unreliable’…Pray why so?

Exactly what is says, which part do you not understand?

Tell us why you think the death numbers are suddenly not reliable for 2020?

Your supposition, like a lot of your statements in this thread, is incorrect.

I never said the total death number for 2020 was unreliable.

Again, I never said the total death numbers for 2020 were not reliable.

You don’t remember what you just wrote ? You are throwing shade at the professional statisticians but have absolutely nothing to back it up?

Just what are you saying then ?

Oh, a ninja edit. What happened to “You seem to be saying it?”?

LOL, the professional statisticians know the data is not 100% reliable, it’s been clearly published! How unreliable is not yet clear. At the most basic level when there is no 100% reliable test for Covid 19 no data derived from that unreliable data can be reliable!

Exactly what is says, which part do you not understand?

You try to cast doubt on the reliability of the total
death numbers (when there is almost no doubt on them ).

You don’t even post any reference just Trump style ’ they say…’.

So own up to your own words.

Good news on immunity post infection from the real experts .

2 Likes

Let me quote you again for posterity.

Joker.

2000 may feel like yesterday but is two decades, it’s like comparing 1980s to 1960s. Life expectancy over this time has improved by 4 years, that’s a whopping 5% increase, that’s 4 more years with your children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren. Covid is effectively undoing these past two decades of progress. Life expectancy at birth, measured today, has decreased by about a year when adjusted for the population as a whole, and is likely worse for life expectancy from age 65.

And note: these statistics are in spite of the restrictions that have been in place, without the restrictions the statistics would definitely have been worse. What you are saying is “10% increase in deaths year-on-year is tolerable, let’s ease off the measures and let this number increase more”. If you want to argue against the restrictions you need to extrapolate what the statistics would be now without and compare to the current situation.

1 Like

No shit! You could cure Alzheimer’s this way.

“that’s 4 more years” minus (1.5 years [minimum] plus all the additional panic, anxiety, misery, stress, depression). Equation is getting complicated.

It’s a temporary undoing. Viruses and plagues have come and gone throughout history.

Nope, never did, total death numbers is not in question.