Coronavirus Open Thread 2021

If you ask questions that can’t be answered, and refuse to answer the same question yourself (presumably on the same basis), then you’re pretty much guaranteed to get nowhere, and you can pat yourself on the back for being stupendously clever.

1 Like

No, I did answer it. Oh I know, I forgot you can’t be wrong again. I’ll try to remember that next time.

Nowhere have you offered any proof that our leaders are all drooling idiots. Meanwhile I gave you one example suggesting that they are not.

Let’s see a few examples of ministers or other people in positions of power who are demonstrably stupid, and I might be inclined to take you seriously.

1 Like

I didn’t say that, you did.

OK, you lost me now. I thought you were conceding that your preferred explanation was “stupidity and incompetence”. Are you saying there is no possible explanation at all for the world going tits-up?

1 Like

I said people are muddling through a confusing and unprecedented situation. You seem to be saying that because they are not doing it the way you think they should, they must be drooling idiots.

And what kind of people “muddle through” something that appears (to them) to be confusing? What kind of person watches hundreds of millions of people suffer and die as a direct consequence of their actions and yet refuses to stop doing it? There really are only two types of people who do that, aren’t there? Pick one. If they’re not evil, then what are you left with?

I also invite you to consider the possibility that people who harm and kill millions through continued incompetence should bear as much responsibility as people who do it deliberately, and should invoke some sort of public outrage rather than “oh well, they’re doing the best they can, so perhaps we should support them and do as we’re told”.

It seems to me that you’re just avoiding looking at something that’s too awful to look at.

1 Like

Too many people have forgotten that’s how we did it in 2003. :grandpa:

And it worked.

This can’t be right… :astonished:

1 Like

In the humbug thread, I wrote (in a rather different context):

And here we are.

I’m not sure this person is competent to be a parent, or indeed competent to do anything at all without adult supervision.

1 Like

It has been done in the old country and with foreigners even, especially when they bring chickenpox or any other highly contagious but preventable disease…but refused/refuse/and keep on refusing vaccination.

Good thing you’re in Taiwan. :grin:

And it is always someone from some fancy Western country, France, Switzerland, UK, etc …

Teacher symptomatic, unvaccinated, not tested, kids not tested…everyone can still get sick and then,pass the disease to others and still take their turn at the roulette for the outcome for themselves and others.

Wait even with symptoms she was allowed in to teach? :slightly_frowning_face:
Guy

At least asymptomatic there would be an excuse.

Working sick is killing way too many people, yes, and losing pay over sick days is not possible in some cases. But if with vaccines and tests and masks available, a conscious choice is made because “COVID is a lie”, then the consequences are evidently evident.

From what I read, in the US currently there is a huge fight because the parents are fighting mask use, not to mention vaccination, at a school council level, and now even testing has it’s own conspiracy theory: a dangerous chemical is used to cover the cotton swabs. Get that away from us and especially from our children!

Too many kids won’t see Christmas…

That is demonstrably false, unless you’re counting vaccine deaths? Or shootings?

I’m surprised the vaccine manufacturers haven’t come up with a vaccine that protects you from the potential side effects of the vaccine.

As for testing: shoving probes up kids’ noses every other week for no reason whatsoever is basically just common assault. I’ve heard of kids being so terrified of it that they have to be forcibly held down for ‘swabbing’ (what a nasty little euphemism that word is). History is going to judge this generation harshly for what we’ve done to our children. Watch.

7 Likes

“Unvaccinated? Pay up!” :money_mouth_face:

I’m sure John Banzhaf III would agree that we should be absolutely fair about this. Let’s charge all those people who are morbidly obese and diabetic and clogging up the hospitals, not just with COVID cases but with a whole raft of chronic problems that are expensive to treat. And let’s ramp up their insurance premiums too. Let’s charge them more for airline seats; after all, they overflow their allotted space and use more fuel. If we inflict enough pain on them, they will surely see the light and cease their antisocial behaviour.

Honestly, that article reads like some sort of parody, to be used in a Philosophy class on logical fallacies. Good clickbait though, so mission accomplished for CNN, I guess. One of the big problems with COVID is that it provides a strong incentive for public figures to come out with increasingly outrageous statements, just to win some airtime or column-inches.

4 Likes

Has he dumbed it down for the audience?

It’s bizarre.

1 Like