Coronavirus Open Thread 2021

They are going in order: a variant only gets a letter if it reaches “of interest” level (Mu has already been assigned, so next one should be Nu). Delta was the last variant that was upgraded to “of concern” (Episilon, Zeta and Theta were downgraded).

1 Like

Lambda is not after Delta.

After Delta is Epsilon.

Technically they’re both after Delta :wink:

Epsilon was previously assigned and that variant is still on the “alerts for further monitoring” list as B.1.427/B.1.429. I guess Zeta and Theta fell even further because they’re not even on that list.

ETA clarity: All letters from Alpha to Mu have been assigned.

1 Like

Still, that’s a lotta letters to skip over.

I don’t think they will use Ξ ξ xi, ξι [ks] x as in English fox [18]
or
chi, χι [] c as in English cat [11][note 2] [x] ~ [ç] ch as in Scottish loch ~ h as in English hue

1 Like

This is insane… :open_mouth:

3 Likes

They should do that for people in quarantine in Taiwan. Random calls!

This stuff is just insane. Australians are already getting a bit ornery and if TPTB are not careful, they could create a flashpoint that has serious consequences.

I get the distinct impression that Morrisson has lost authority. It looks like some sort of coup is in progress, albeit a massively disorganized one. A whole bunch of other State actors are just making up their own rules and enforcing them.

4 Likes

In other news, the government have backed off (slightly) in the wake of the trucker protests:

Apparently American truckers are picking up the cause.

2 Likes

https://www.financialexpress.com/lifestyle/health/whats-mu-strain-of-covid-from-evading-vaccine-to-transmissibility-everything-we-know-about-new-corona-variant/2323215/lite/

Mu is already here.

1 Like

Do you still remember him? Lin spent a whole month in the hospital, and felt like hell the whole time

Interesting what he mentioned about the hospital rotation in China. I can imagine the riot here…or in the old country.

2 Likes

mAh freedom

To infect and kill others because a virus that can’t be seen can’t exist…

1 Like

Shit’s getting real in Vietnam. :open_mouth:

2 Likes

Translation:
Thoi Hoa treatment area mainly treats F0 on the “first level”, that is, without symptoms, and some on the “2nd floor” (medium level of illness), with a high discharge rate - Photo: BA SON

They have similar field hospitals in Thailand, where asymptomatic and people who test positive (even if false positive) are forced to stay there.

3 Likes

It’s more like a quarantine center I guess.

Why would people in their 80s not had their shots when young, hardly at risk people have had them? Sounds very odd.

It’s quite obvious those people are just bored shitless, not ill. And probably spreading various other diseases that pop up when you cram thousands of people into a big building.

3 Likes

Remember when it was a ‘conspiracy’ about being jabbed and jabbed and jabbed and jabbed again?
Oh my is this ever going to end?

4 Likes

Been in contact with quite a few friends in Saigon and Hanoi. The situation there is out of control crazy right now. Just getting food is a challenge from what I’ve heard. Fortunately there are rumors that d7 in Saigon is going to open up and the rest of the city will follow in a few weeks. Hanoi seems like it’s going to reopen sooner. Also, take what the official news in Vietnam says with a grain of salt because it is controlled by the government.

3 Likes

Right, if getting food is a challenge, then COVID is the least of your concerns (or, the cause of it due to the lockdowns).

Hope your friends stay safe.

1 Like