Coronavirus Open Thread 2021

That’s simply not true.
I’m familiar with what happened in Ireland and the the UK and it is highly correlated with behaviour (the virus can only spread through social contact it’s not that complicated ) and the stats back it up.

Also recently in India all accounts are saying they were having huge religious festivals, 3 million people together. .Then soon after…Explosion in cases.

2 Likes

Wasn’t it was you endlessly accusing me of “cherry picking”? Correlating two data points out of nearly 200 is … um, cherry-picking. And meaningless, in the statistical sense.

All the data is right there on the Johns Hopkins pages. You can also get tables of the “severity” of mitigation measures if you search online, although these are inevitably a bit subjective. Correlate those and see how you get on.

It’s not two data points it’s hundreds of data points across a period of two years.

And they are the ones I’m most familiar with.
Every time they opened up…Cases exploded…Restrictions …Cases reduced.

1 Like

We’re talking about human actions vs. ultimate outcome (as of April 2021). So two countries is two data points. And you’re going to ignore every country that doesn’t fit your view.

James O’Keefe? The professional fraudster? The guy who built a career on making shit up? Are you seriously presenting something he says as if it’s somehow credible?

So two kids tested positive for covid in my school and we are shut down for a week. We will teach online.

1 Like

I didn’t know he used AI to make up fake videos with Mark Fuckerburg and others. So much that those all scammed by him sued him.
I should just use Rachael Madcow vids instead I guess. A fine upstanding credible truthful person no doubt respected by yourself.

I found these:

Increase in testing:

Regarding deaths:
Former Assistant Secretary-General of the United Nations Professor Ramesh Thakur has been in touch with a comment he left on a story in the Australian .

Some context and perspective. India’s Covid deaths yesterday were 2,163 (seven-day rolling average). India’s average daily death toll is 25,000 from all causes.

Second, despite this surge, as of now India’s Covid mortality rate is 140 dead per million people. This compares to 401 for the world average, 1,762 for the US, and 1,869 for the UK. It puts India 119th in the world on this, the single most important statistic for comparison purposes.

Third, the crux of the problem in India is not the proportion of cases and deaths from Covid. Rather, it is the lack of a fit-for-purpose public health infrastructure and medical supplies of equipment and drugs.

Fourth, although Government neglect of public health while prioritising vanity projects like a new Parliament building during the pandemic, building temples and statues etc. is a contributory factor, the real cause of a poor public health system is poverty. Put bluntly, poverty is the world’s biggest killer.

Fifth and finally, this is why a strong economy is not an optional luxury but an essential requirement for good health.

Looks like he got his Twitter account suspended.

1 Like

Deaths 3,300 per day now and that’s strongly suspected to be under counting the deaths.

Forget about seeing a doc if you have any kind of major problem right now .

I am dealing with medical people in India, no access to any facilities permitted , all commercial activities suspended , contracts suspended by force majeure …You name it.

Is it correct to assume that the purpose of the first two graphs is that (i) both the vaccination coverage and number of cases are increasing, (ii) ergo, the vaccine doesn’t work? Or was it something else?

If the former, the supposed discrepancy seems pretty easy to explain - just look at the y axis of the first graph. It’s just showing that something like 3-8% of the total population have received at least one dose of vaccine during the current spike. My understanding is that the current spike is attributable to India letting its guard down and a few massive gatherings, leading to something looking like exponential spread.

Even if a single dose of vaccine is 100% effective and immediate (and it’s not), I wouldn’t expect 3-8% of people being vaccinated to have all that much effect. Would you?

1 Like

I don’t know what he’s saying, he’s just posting random graphs of stuff that is going up.

I don’t think even he knows what he’s saying. :joy::joy::joy:

2 Likes

Could you check into the Coronavirus - Taiwan 2021 thread, there’s some speculation, perhaps solid info, that they were related to one of the China Air pilots

2 Likes

Highly likely.

Just saw this:

Coming from the man who works for a pharma company and would probably insert tampons in his ear if told by the government, I will take that as a compliment.

The reason I asked the question of possible correlation (which I have posted reports on before) was due to the temporary suppression of the immune system after vaccine.

Okay, thanks for clarifying.

I’m not sure about whether vaccines temporarily suppress the immune system. My understanding is that they provoke an immune response, i.e., the generation of antibodies, which is kind of the opposite (hence the fever and stuff in some people - part of the immune response, presumably).

No idea though whether vaccination in general makes people more or less susceptible to other infections, i.e., less or more able to mount an appropriate immune response to other antigens. I could see plausible explanations for why both might be the case, and I’m not sure which wins out in the real world.

It’s being discussed in the COVID-19 Taiwan thread.

Cheers,
Guy

1 Like