Coronavirus Open Thread 2021

Reduce. Reuse. Recycle.
Saving the environment one swab at a time :roll_eyes:
(bonus points for the ā€œprobeā€ pun)

1 Like

High temp, UV or radiation sterilization, no problem.

Just washing it with tap water, hell no.

Heartbreaking shit happening in India.

1 Like

Doubt it. You put those bits of dead virus RNA in a PCR machine and itā€™ll still amplify those bits of dead virus.

Up to 60% of new cases are from those vaccinated:

I guess it depends on whether you were recorded as vaccinated or actually vaccinatedā€¦

1 Like

The comments explain whatā€™s going on there (completely expected, IMO).

Personally, if I ever have to get a vaccine certificate, Iā€™d happily bribe them not to press that plunger as long as they still give me the stupid piece of paper.

That guy is worth googling. This record of testimony before the senate on the subject of hydroxychloroquine (I didnā€™t even know such a thing even happened) might be interesting:

It took me two seconds to check this.

https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2021/apr/29/viral-image/no-vaccinated-people-dont-make-60-new-covid-19-cas/

7 Likes

It sounded a bit unlikely, didnā€™t it. The question is: if itā€™s so blatantly false, why has Yale not hauled him up on this? Why on earth would he say something thatā€™s so easily falsifiable? I really donā€™t understand whatā€™s going on here.

2 Likes

Sign of the times? Desire to just get lies out there in the hopes that some stick for various different agendas? Like the recent lie regarding how Biden is pushing for less red meat eating. Strange. Maybe pernicious is the better word.

Donā€™t people worry about getting fired if theyā€™re show to be egregiously wrong?

Anvisa, the Brazilian drug agency, said that every single lot of the Ad5 Gamaleya shot that they have data on appears to still have replication-competent adenovirus in it.

Apropos of nothing ā€¦ Iā€™ve just noticed that some videos and ads on YouTube have the following disclaimer tacked onto them:

ā€œFootage shot prior to covid-19 restrictionsā€

Presumably so that the witchhunter-general doesnā€™t pounce on them for failing to show everyone wearing their ā€œPPEā€.

Youā€™re missing the point - share the misinformation/anecdote first, ask critical questionsā€¦never. If someone corrects you, ignore the correction and go find something else on Twitter. Itā€™s the cake way.

2 Likes

I was waiting for Mr Obsessed.
Go ahead and do likewise with everything I have posted from links.
I am sure you will enjoy pulling up every single bit of ā€˜misinfomationā€™ as you call it.
Funny how you will never question letā€™s say government ā€˜misinformationā€™ or those whom work in pharma and have vested interests.
Itā€™s the Andrew way.

Thereā€™s no real obsession - I just respond to the misinformation you incessantly post and apparently donā€™t understand enough to question. Could the latter not be considered an obsession?

What is your purpose in posting this stuff to a discussion forum, if not to discuss and perhaps learn something? Havenā€™t you noticed that Iā€™m one of perhaps three or four people who actually respond to you, the rest presumably just not considering your posts worth engaging with?

I literally donā€™t know what this means. If the government or pharma says something wrong/dubious, I question it. Those entities have flaws too, obviously, but itā€™s nothing compared to the constant stream of stuff youā€™re putting out. (I also donā€™t respond to every topic - it doesnā€™t necessarily denote agreement. Iā€™m also not that interested in the political aspects, especially in relation to the UK etc., having not lived there for over a decade.)

I think there are several factors. The first is academics arenā€™t generally good at making their point clear to us mere mortals. The second is if we are questioning the source of information then Iā€™m not quite sure where we go if we are writing off a professor of epidemiology from Yale. Is anything we donā€™t agree with therefore must be ignored?

My, amateur, take on what he said was lockdowns are counterproductive once the virus has kicked off. Heā€™s questioning the effectiveness of vaccinated herd immunity. Time will tell to what degree heā€™s right, but he is a genuine expert. Thatā€™s not to say that experts are never wrong, of course.

Weā€™ll see over time whether 50 percent of new Covid cases had been vaccinated. I doubt it, but Iā€™m no expert.

I was referring to his ā€œ60% of new cases are vaccinated peopleā€. I donā€™t think there are many possible alternative interpretations.

Iā€™m not writing him off. Iā€™m wondering what on earth is going on. That ā€œ60%ā€ thing is either true or itā€™s false, and itā€™s a falsifiable statement - one can (presumably) look at the records and come back with a yay or a nay.

• So if itā€™s false, you would expect him to have been hauled over the coals.
  • If itā€™s true, then ā€¦ well, consider my mind well and truly blown. Why arenā€™t other academics coming out in support?

I flagged up the Senate report for the same reason. What on earth was all that about? It seems to suggest that hydroxychloroquine is pretty effective (for unknown reasons), but that was the last we ever heard of the matter.

I got the impression that he was questioning the effectiveness of the vaccine itself. If his statement is true, then either the vaccine is not working as well as they say it does, or it takes much longer for the effect to kick in than they say it does.

I wasnā€™t saying that you were writing him off. I apologise if my post read that way. I was saying that if other posters ignore a Yale professor of epidemiology because of the source, then is there anything we donā€™t ignore?

As you say, why would he come up with a 50 or 60 percent figure if it were nonsense?

Good one. Like I said you can pull it up and ā€˜fact checkā€™ links I send.
Speaking of links, I didnā€™t know posting links was frowned upon in discussion forums. Maybe for you and your ilk.
The ones whom respond in a negative way seem quite wound up at almost anything I post regarding C19. I obviously upset them. Probably because they feel threatened. I donā€™t get wound up when someone champions say lockdowns or claims the Earth will end without a vaccine.
But it feels like the narrative by government sponsored media has worked on many so much so that they cannot handle anything beyond the spoon fed news.
And I suggest you donā€™t judge your perceptions as the same as others.