Coronavirus Open Thread 2022

Fair enough. Nevertheless it’s hard to read these breathless rants without drawing the conclusion that there’s something seriously wrong with the writer’s psyche. What good does it do for him to fret and worry about his daughter going to flute practice (fnar)? It only feeds his own paranoia and probably drives his family nuts.

2 Likes

There’s already “solutions” for this, actually.

Florida State University:

Some schools in Washington State:

images (2)

I have to admit here that I’m not sure whether the second photo is parody or reality (it’s not included in the original article). It’s become hard to tell the difference sometimes…

4 Likes

I’m not sure if this is the right thread for it, but interesting Atlantic piece on how universities, at this stage of the pandemic, should no longer be closing - mainly because the drawbacks for students are too high. I’m not sure what I think of it: first reaction, without much thought, is that the article sounds right for North America (where the virus is everywhere), and perhaps not correct for Taiwan if we get into the early stage of a potential outbreak again. But in regards to how this whole thing has been awful for university students, oh yes, I’m definitely seeing that with my students.

Moving to remote schooling when the conditions on the ground have changed so dramatically is an abdication of universities’ responsibility to educate students and protect all aspects of their health.

College students are in the midst of a mental-health crisis. Surveys show rising anxiety and depression in this population, including suicidal thoughts. One survey reported that 95 percent of college students have experienced at least one mental-health issue during the pandemic. Not all of these problems are driven by remote schooling, of course, but the top issue cited in that survey was loneliness and isolation, and it’s difficult not to make the connection.

2 Likes

Well, he landed in Melbourne last night, BUT, it seems he has the wrong Visa, and is currently sitting alone in a room at the Airport - Immigration wont let him in!!!

I had thought that someone like him would arrive on a Private jet, but the reports say he arrived after a 14h flight from Dubai, which suggests he arrived on Emirates - who might be in a bit of bother for letting him travel as they are supposed to make sure that passengers have the right Visa.

1 Like

And his Visa has since been cancelled. So looks like he is going back.

1 Like

Anyone with a daughter worries about her going to flute practice…

2 Likes

Meanwhile in Hong Kong, some dramatic measures unfolding. Don’t even think of transiting in HKG in the foreseeable future.

Hong Kong has banned flights from eight countries in a snap response to rising coronavirus cases.

Hong Kong chief executive [aka Chief Water Carrier for her Overlords in Beijing] Carrie Lam introduced the measures on Wednesday (AEDT), including a 6pm restaurant curfew as the region battles its fifth wave.

[. . .]

Lam has ordered a two-week ban on passenger flights from Australia, Britain, Canada, France, India, Pakistan, the Philippines, and the United States. The new measures will take effect on Saturday [January 8, 2022] and will stay in place until at least January 21.

Source: Hong Kong bans flights from Australia and seven other countries | news.com.au — Australia’s leading news site

Guy

1 Like

Meanwhile, the Northern Territory of Australia (ie - Darwin) which accounts for a whole 1% of the population, has entered into a Lockdown (or Lockout even) - for UNVACCINATED only.

"People who are not fully vaccinated can only leave home for three reasons: medical treatment including COVID testing or vaccination; for essential goods and services such as groceries; and to provide care to a vulnerable family member or person who cannot support themselves.

Unvaccinated people cannot travel more than 30 kilometres from their home when leaving for one of the three reasons, unless you are going to hospital.

Unlike previous lockdown rules, unvaccinated people will not be able to leave home to go to work or for exercise, Mr Gunner said".

Maybe the French President should try that in order to “piss off” the unvaccinated.

I presume this means Novak Djokovic will not be vacationing in Darwin any time soon. :neutral_face:

Guy

Actually, there is a large Quarantine facility there which they use for repatriation flights. Otherwise no, its the “Wet” season in Darwin now, extremely humid, the wiser locals get out for as long as they can.

Unless Novak gets a Court to intervene (the lawyers are already involved, rubbing their hands with glee no doubt), he will be on his way back to Dubai late tonight - and I dont think he will try his luck with the authorities there.

1 Like

Let’s see if they come out on the streets to cause some aggro. I can’t see Australians putting up with this nonsense for much longer.

I hope one day people like Gunner find themselves cooling their heels in jail (or a padded cell). That guy is several sandwiches short of a picnic.

3 Likes

So Novak will be enjoying the comforts of Immigration Detention for at least one night. The fact that it’s detention also strips him of any privilege’s that he might have had in Quarantine - one being no communication devices!!! Lets see how long before he voluntarily decides to leave the country.

1 Like

Another field hospital going up in Xi’an… :thinking:

3 Likes

2 Likes

Goodness, how exciting! Perhaps the guards will give him a bit of a kicking while he’s in there, or deny him food. Serve him right for trying to play tennis without first bowing to Ba’al.

He should tell them to fuck off and then go play an exhibition in China at the same time as the open.

1 Like

Meanwhile, those wild and crazy Quebecers who partied their a&&es off on a flight from Canada to Cancun are now in trouble. The PM is clearly not amused; the airline has cancelled their return charter flight; and individuals may face hefty fines for contravening Aviation Canada and COVID prevention rules.

Guy

And an update on the “idiot” Quebecers and their trials (soon literally) and tribulations:

Guy

I was once ended up in a big group of people making a party on a train night train. Italian carabinieri removed us from the train after we plaid soccer in a 30 minutes break in a station (50 people or so). Was a good night and worth it:-)

I’m sure the majority from the flight here thinks so too. Ever been on a charter from UK to Ibiza, flights were the same. Oppression for something that was just normal before, just because of a flu? Its omicron not Delta. People gotta learn that if they lockdown any fun because of a small flu (which Delta wasn’t) that everyone needs to get anyhow will create havoc. More and more are simply not buying into the panic anymore.

Actually I really wonder that no country so far has made a covid gold card… Its the ideal brain drain. Announce no restrictions whatsoever, salary threshold or university degree and 5 year visa - upfront payment of 5000usd which will be a tax down payment and get loads of talented people in that are sick of the show.

Coronavirus gonna be with us anyhow let the people have their fun. The will just fly home with a detour.

2 Likes

I don’t think you know much about Canada. :rofl:

Guy