Coronavirus Open Thread 2022

Another ‘oops’ caused by ‘the science.’

"Measles cases have surged nearly 80% worldwide this year amid disruption caused by Covid-19, the UN has said, warning that the rise of the “canary in a coalmine” illness indicated that outbreaks of other diseases were likely to be on the way.

The coronavirus pandemic has interrupted vaccination campaigns for non-Covid diseases around the world, creating a “perfect storm” that could put millions of children’s lives at risk, the UN’s children’s agency Unicef and the World Health Organization (WHO) said in a statement."

Will this become the norm?

1 Like

FDA Commissioner Robert Califf, Principal Deputy Commissioner Janet Woodcock and the agency’s top vaccine official, Dr. Peter Marks, wrote that COVID-19 will be in circulation for the foreseeable future and must be accepted as another common virus in the Journal of the American Medical Association. Like with influenza, this new reality will likely require annual COVID-19 shots to be tailored around the most threatening strains of the virus, the officials wrote.

Good.
Let the shots be VOLUNTARY like yearly flu shots are.

Maybe it’s just a cold…

2 Likes

I agree. It is.

1 Like

This focus on individual cases and Putting out the list of health conditions and vaccine numbers is also bad policy IMO. Is it meant to say “everybody should be terrified” or is it meant to say “see, only the ancient and unhealthy are dying”?

There’s no rule that says Covid can’t kill you if you’re young and healthy. It’s just less likely. There’s no rule that it can’t kill you if you have 3x vaccines. It’s just less likely. Showing all these outlier cases isn’t helpful at all and doesn’t nothing but generate more panic. I know that’s typical for Taiwanese media to be super dramatic about everything…

Same with these stories about pregnant women with Covid giving birth by C-section. So what? That happened thousands and thousands of times across the US, UK, Europe… it’s just creating drama where it isn’t needed.

4 Likes

Maybe its just me. But every time I’ve seen the actual break-down of a daily figure across several countries, the vast majority of them have very serious underlying existing conditions.

Of course, and if you look just in the last few days, several people who died have been triple vaxxed and others double vaxxed.

I’m glad they break them down and show their pre-existing conditions and ages. When the media highlights one case who was under 20 and no pre-existing conditions, I know its an outlier and not the norm, but that’s just me.

2 Likes

Well yeah, of course. It’s no secret at all that most deaths are in elderly people and/or those with pre-existing conditions. And vaccination reduces the risk of death by several-fold on top. But some deaths will still occur in other demographics.

I just don’t see any value whatsoever in reporting single cases. That’s some weird anomaly of Taiwan where the case numbers are so low that it’s possible to do this and everybody is still caught up in the novelty of it.

However, for the general public this information is useless at best, misleading at worst. We aren’t the doctors of these people. What is “cardiovascular disease” as written on the graphic? High cholesterol? Diagnosed coronary artery disease? A positive calcium score? Atrial fibrillation? Triple vessel obstructive disease? Stable angina? Long QT syndrome (genetic). Had bypass surgery? Myocarditis? Valve regurgitation? End stage dilated cardiomyopathy?

If you are any human being above 40 you have atherosclerosis which could be detected by a cardiologist. Does that count as having cardiovascular disease for the purpose of this graphic?

See my point? I don’t see how these graphics are helpful because people will see whatever they want to see. Many will say “see, these people are already on deaths door”, when that is not always clear. Only a few, for example when it says someone was bedridden with illness, can we be sure that they were indeed at deaths door before Covid.

Not really. When the supposed pandemic started, I was in Vietnam and Australia, they reported each case every day in the media. It was very clear from the outset that the only people who were really having a really bad time with it/dying were very old and already very, very sick. Every day the papers would announce someone had died, and they were in their 80s or 90s and had multiple underlying health conditions. Yet people were acting as if it was just going to wipe out the entire population. In Victoria, Australia, they’d go into detail in about how horrible and shocking it was that 8 people had died of coronavirus that day, when 150 people die in the state every day anyway, and the same number, or more, would die each day during flu season from the flu (and likely have the same amount of existing conditions). The statistics then were the same, only 0.03% of people would have problems with the virus. Given those statistics, I couldn’t see how any healthy 15 or 25 or even 35 year old would be concerned about dying from the virus. I’m glad they gave the breakdown of the figures. Yet here, as per one of my other posts, everyone here seems to think they’re going to be in that 0.03% of people who have an issue with it, even that it will kill them. If that information wasn’t released: vaccination status, ages of death, existing conditions, people could easily think they’re likely to experience serious issues/death from getting the virus.

Many would not agree with this statement.

1 Like

They can disagree until they’re blue in the face, but they would be wrong.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(21)02183-8/fulltext

3 Likes

They’ll be ‘safe’ from COVID but they will possibly get myocarditis or a blood clot.

Those risks are also there if / when you get COVID. Avoiding the vaccine unfortunately doesn’t get you out of jail. :neutral_face:

Guy

1 Like

Taking or avoiding the vaccines makes a statistically insignificant difference.

Oh dear !!! North Korea has finally joined the COVID-19 club - a positive case has been detected.

1 Like

Those people are simply wrong. People still believing this in 2022 are beyond reason.

FWIW, I personally knew a 40 year old who died from Covid early 2021. And that’s FROM covid, not with Covid. He should have lived another 40 years, but it was cut short by this virus.

Risk of a blood clot, heart damage etc higher when you get Covid-19 than when you get any of the vaccines.

If you think the spike protein is harmful, you should be terrified of the virus. Otherwise, what are you scared about with a vaccine? It makes no sense.

2 Likes

Just had the virus a month ago. Big nothing burger for me, just a bit of light coughing and mucus. No fever, no loss of smell, just mostly respiratory. For most people it is nothing, vaccinated or not. If you’re old, then of course I’d recommend being vaccinated.

I’m not sure of the thought pattern that would lead to this conclusion. Personally I’m not terrified of this virus or any other

One is nature (let’s assume, for the point of this statement), and the other is a mega-industry that exists only because of illness and disease - it is very clear, within their power they can generate the ideal conditions to thrive, grow and dominate

1 Like

That’s one way to look at it.

Cancer is “nature.”

Dealing with any illness is “nature.”

I’d prefer to play the numbers and try to avoid these kinds of “natural” outcomes as long as I can!

Guy

2 Likes

That’s how it is for most people. I’m glad you had it easy.

This Omicron is also much milder. I know a 40yo who died from Delta, and a 34 year old who spent 3 weeks in the ICU. I think with vaccination they would have not had such a bad time.

He seems to be indicating that the vaccine is harmful. But the vaccine is only giving you a tiny dose of the same protein which is present on the virus. And the paper I linked shows that risk of myocarditis or blood clot after infection is MUCH higher than after vaccination. Hence my statement. If you’re scared of a small dose of non-replicating protein from a vaccine, you should be terrified of the actual virus replicating itself billions of times throughout your body.

I’m also not sure about your logic. Why is natural better?

What else is natural? Cancer. Hemlock. HIV. Clostridium difficile. It’s pretty sensible to be scared of those. And without those pharma companies you wouldn’t have treatments…

2 Likes

Why does anyone care about other people’s vaccination status? Is it because of the possible increased healthcare costs?

1 Like