Coronavirus Open Thread 2022

The ‘mastermind’ was bat lady who dicked around with stuff she didn’t understand in unsafe conditions. Yeah, the CCP allowed it to happen and the USA probably financed some of it. But that’s it.

2 Likes

Bat lady is a worse monster than Putin, Osama, Saddam, Assad, the Kims and every other 21st century “monster” combined, in terms of pure misery she’s unleashed on the world. I hope fate catches up with her one day and she dies slow and painful, maybe after being intubated.

1 Like

“If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?”

God only knows what went down initially, but I’m pretty sure one person doesn’t kick off something like this. Thousands of people had to collaborate in making it happen. Once it was out there, for example, people like Neil Ferguson had to pop up and plant the seeds of the idea that China had it right with their lockdown BS. And on and on it went, right down to the bored or malicious or ignorant little functionaries at the bottom of the heap managing the nuts and bolts of oppression.

2 Likes

Thousands of people? To manipulate a virus? Maybe a couple of dozen.

1 Like

No, to turn a technical mistake (and I’m giving them the benefit of the doubt and assuming it was a mistake) into Thuh Pandemic. Generating the pathogen was the easy bit. Plunging 7 billion people into two years of misery was a bit more complicated.

This is true, but it’s not related to the point I’m making about the source of the virus.

That isn’t remotely what the document says.

You are spreading ridiculous conspiracy theory. Either deliberately, or through ignorance and denial. Either way, you should be ashamed of yourself.

2 Likes

What is the ‘conspiracy theory’ I am spreading?
That there were not 61 people that died with only C19 listed on the death certificate?
Do you work for a pharmaceutical company? You seem to not accept any questioning of anything that is not promoted from the likes of Davos sponsored corporates.

I think I found the exceptional case! From today’s Taipei Times:

Guy

1 Like

Great to see N Korea is :trophy:

3 Likes

Hole in one!

Not really sure what your point is. Are you suggesting that Taiwan is somehow similar to NK? Or that anything that comes out of NK remotely resembles the truth?

I’d be curious to know what those medicines are that they’re (supposedly) dispensing.

Noxious blends of TCM raw materials no doubt.

I’m just amazed that NK has medicines. Or pharmacies. I guess that’s a stock photo of the one and only pharmacy with, uh, stock.

2 Likes

NK doesn’t need medicine. They have a dear leader.

We got one of them too!

I don’t think thousands of people is inaccurate, even if just referring to the initial research without the subsequent government policies that caused much of the harm. It might even be an underestimate.

I don’t think it’s remotely reasonable to put all of that on one “evil” person acting maliciously as @DrewC suggested, but in addition to bat lady and her co-workers over a decade or two, you would also be justified in including everybody in China and the U.S. who signed off on all of the grant applications, journal editors and peer reviewers who didn’t see a problem with the research when it was being published, and those in the field and scientific community doing similar stuff.

It might seem obvious in retrospect that this was a bad idea, or that research like this should be conducted very far away from anywhere with much more rigorous procedures, but a lot of things seem obvious in retrospect. And it’s pretty different from people actually acting maliciously (if I remember the grant applications correctly, the stated goal of this was pandemic prediction and prevention by figuring out problematic sequences to monitor for, which isn’t totally unreasonable in itself, although the implementation obviously didn’t quite work out as perfectly as might be hoped).

3 Likes

Bat lady and her lab had been pulled up several times over safety issues prior to the outbreak, so it isn’t all in retrospect.

1 Like

I suspect you’ll find safety issues in absolutely any research lab. Universities/institutes usually have people whose job it is to find them, and it’s just part of the cost of doing things. I remember that they found some at Academia Sinica during Taiwan’s most recent lab leak of a SARS-associated coronavirus last December, as well.

It’s still retrospect, because (like in most places/research institutes) those issues weren’t considered enough to close the whole thing down.

3 Likes

Good posts. Thank you.

Guy