Coronavirus Open Thread 2022

I wonder if he was even tested.

Becoming even more farcical:

Coronavirus (COVID-19) deaths

COVID-19 deaths are those deaths registered in England and Wales in the stated week where COVID-19 was mentioned on the death certificate. A doctor can certify the involvement of COVID-19 based on symptoms and clinical findings; a positive test result is not required. Definitions of COVID-19 for deaths in Scotland and Northern Ireland are similar to England and Wales.

Others may find the stats interesting:

1 Like

Ooof my parents have COVID for a second time. They seem fine; typical flu-like symptoms.

1 Like

I also know people who’ve gotten it twice. Mostly extreme stuffy nose with a touch of sore throat, but the latter maybe no more than 24-36 hours.

1 Like

So I still have not gotten Covid after living in 2 hot zones in Europe. Traveled during this time. Hosted a professional conference for 150 people. I have not had any of the vaccine either. I took the antigen test and I never had it.

Here is what I’ve done so far if anyone is wondering. Idk if below are the reasons why but it is what I’ve been doing.

Wash my hands a lot. I would say 10 times a day or more.

I don’t touch door handles and things people touch. I use some kind of cloth or use my feet to open doors for example. If it must; I have hand sanitizer.

I don’t wear masks anymore tbh but I did in the beginning.

I avoid crowded places when it’s not needed. Like nightclubs or bars.

Vitamin D and C supplements.

Exercise 3 times a week and eat relatively healthy.

Stopped smoking :smoking:

I feel like the thing I’m doing the most is washing hands and being conscious of what I’m touching and not putting my hands on my face.

3 Likes

Maybe you caught an asymptomatic case and never knew. :man_shrugging:

4 Likes

For my Dad, cough, headache, slight fever, sore throat and some back aches. My mom seems mostly symptom free so far.

2 Likes

I thought this but I took the test to see if you ever had it and came up negative.

2 Likes

It’s notable as well how the fatalities are affecting men more than women, at least so far. This is not a “specific development,” so perhaps it’d be a better fit in the Taiwan Open thread. But I do wonder if someone has figured out why.

Guy

That happened everywhere.

Does anyone know why?

Guy

here is a link Men are more likely to die of COVID-19: 4 factors that may explain why

3 Likes

If it were the other way round the cause would be misogyny and we’d be hearing a lot more about it.

3 Likes

MORE MEN DYING THAN WOMEN.
-10 ways women are disproportionately affected by the pandemic.

I remember seeing a headline along these lines a couple of years back.

2 Likes

Based on that link, men are—among other factors—less likely to get vaccinated and (this is obviously related) less likely to comply with public health guidelines.

Sounds consistent with some of the posting patterns on this site, where Men Obviously Know Better Than the Health Authorities, because of course they do.

Guy

2 Likes

They deserve it?

Why do you always find a way to attack others? You always find a way to refer back to SOME PEOPLE on this site or SOME OTHER THREAD.

I am a man, but my mum is a woman and she used to ask… if someone told you to eat shit, would you?

Just because the health authorities tell me something, I’m still allowed to question it. Aren’t I? Especially when it has been proven in many countries that the people in charge didn’t do what they were asking others to do.

Maybe you should answer my mom’s question?

If someone in authority asked you to eat shit, would you? What about if they went to NTU?

9 Likes

The article also suggests that men may be more likely to have poor lifestyles such as smoking.

1 Like

He knew that more men than women were dying. He knew the reasons why. He was asking the question so he could point out that more men are unvaccinated and therefore dumb like some of the posters on this site.

4 Likes

Yes, according to that article, other factors are at play too.

Guy

1 Like

That explanation is only plausible if there were any measurable correlation between compliance with “public health guidelines” and survival. Since there is no such correlation - and indeed no reason to believe that those guidelines could have made any positive difference in the first place - it’s unlikely to be true.

3 Likes