Coronavirus Open Thread 2023

First of all, hahaha mad doctor exists

Second, not all the crazy conspiracies are true.

Third, sometimes checking things is useful.

Not this:

Goodness. Whoever would have guessed? It’s lucky we have an intellectual class to point out these deep secrets of the universe.

What are you even suggesting that we need to check here?

We know mad doctors exist. We’ve been railing about their lunacy for two years now. One woman going on about 5G towers is possibly amusing. Thousands of them foaming at the mouth and telling the unvaccinated that they’re a menace to society and should be denied medical care is a lot less funny.

There’s perhaps a deeper issue here. Why do you think a well-educated person has suddenly started to invent bizarre delusions about stuff she doesn’t understand? My hypothesis is that most people don’t grok the hyper-technological world that we live in. She hasn’t a clue what a 5G tower is, in the same way the average person hasn’t a clue what an mRNA vaccine is. People invent stories and superstitions around things that are far beyond their understanding or experience, transforming them into either angels or demons. In the absence of knowledge or rational thought, it’s a coinflip which way you’ll go.

I’m kind of bitter I’m always sick but never COVID. I need days off without my managers spamming my phone :joy:

2 Likes

The US government doesn’t know how it works either

You have false covid which can be like covid except it isn’t

It’s
Transgender
Covid

Not you
The disease

Many of my associates got it
I had it too
It’s covid like
But not covid

1 Like

Haha can only do that in America.

Amateurs the lot of you. The motherlode of skiving is long COVID, which can get you months off work. And nobody can prove you don’t have it.

2 Likes

Don’t celebrate yet because as the article says

“In most cases pandemics truly end when the next pandemic begins.”

2 Likes

I thought they just ended it by diverting attention to the war in Ukraine?

That worked in some countries. In Taiwan, we were distracted by berries.

2 Likes

Well, Taiwan wasn’t ready for the pandemic to end until 1-2 years after everyone else…

1 Like

Incoming rambling:
I can’t believe Taiwanese are still treating it like HIV/AID epidemic. They act all secretive when a kid has it. They yell when a kid takes their mask off. They’re still making asymptomatic people stay home. I saw a job listing that said English teachers need their first jab too. I don’t care if dumbass people want to wear a mask. Just don’t get mad at people who comprehend it doesn’t prevent shit or when a student is hot as hell and they take it off.

I’m also a bit bitter I haven’t had COVID as I need a break from their tomfoolery

:bomb:

1 Like

5 posts were merged into an existing topic: Coronavirus - China

1 Like

The [British Heart Foundation] said the reason for the sharp rise was likely to be a result of better recognition and diagnosis of the condition.

Nothing to see here!

3 Likes

Though actually, it does seem like the incidence has been increasing for the last couple of decades, even prior to COVID, vaccines, and coincidences:

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanepe/article/PIIS2666-7762(22)00079-5/fulltext

1 Like

Probably also coinciding with the increasing levels of obesity in the general pop.

Vaccines certainly haven’t helped the situation, to put it mildly. The covid vaccines and associated increased risk of myocarditis and pericarditis have been known since day one. Apparently, repeated doses of the unnecessary sludge also compound these dangers.

1 Like

Omicron XBB was likely produced when viruses from two lineages—BJ.1 and BM.1.1.1—infected the same individual and recombined.

“To our knowledge, this is the first documented example of a SARS-CoV-2 variant increasing its fitness through recombination rather than substitutions.”

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-023-38435-3

2 Likes

Fixed that for them :wink:

1 Like