Coronavirus Open Thread (October-December 2020)

That’s uh…frightening.

God bless them. Hope they don’t need it.

South Park Pandemic Special!

Chin Diapers! LOL

For those who haven’t enjoyed it yet, I direct you to the following links.

Enjoy!

South.Park.S24E00.The.Pandemic.Special.AAC.MP4.Mobile.mp4

South.Park.S24E00.The.Pandemic.Special.720p.h264.mkv

South Park S24E00 The Pandemic Special.mkv

Very creative how they managed to get this put together from their individual homes.
Behind-The-Scenes (The Making of the Pandemic Special)

1 Like

The Great Barrington declaration is out. Let’s get back to normal.

It’s free to watch the full episode on Southpark’s website:

3 Likes

Yep. Free in many places, but sometimes stuff is geo blocked or certain formats can’t be played on iOS or Android. Multiple options are always a good thing.

1 Like

Regarding this 'declaration ’ I saw this Prof give some interviews, she wasn’t convincing in the slightest…She didn’t seem to have a clear idea on how to handle a a very widespread pandemic situation which is what Europe is facing right NOW. You have very widespread exponential spread, for instance in Ireland where single digit cases daily in late Summer went to tens went to six hundred a day now in just three months!

Dr. Sunetra Gupta , professor at Oxford University, an epidemiologist with expertise in immunology, vaccine development, and mathematical modeling of infectious diseases

1 Like

No graph for deaths?

1 Like

Why did you jump straight to that ?
In Ireland there are only 500 ICU beds. In total.

What do you think happens when there are no ICU beds available in the nation but hundreds of severe covid patients more than ICU beds ?

Look at the exponential curve. They are heading to thousands of cases a day. With widespread community transmission they have absolutely no choice but to go to some type of lockdown right now.
Which is what they are doing. Because otherwise they will have thousands of cases daily within a few weeks.

It’s been threatened many times during this pandemic. I suppose we’ll see if and when a a nationwide lack of ICU beds happens.

Was it zero Covid deaths in Ireland yesterday? Or has the figure increased much over the past 6 weeks. I’m not even googling stats about this, by the way.

1 Like

Well its not only covid deaths is it. You won’t have functioning hospitals in Winter if they are all blocked up with covid patients.

If. It’s been if for a few months. I thought it was generally a two to four week space between case increase and death increase?

Better to head it off than have the hospitals completely full of covid patients and no capacity to do anything else. Even if death rate is much reduced they still need intensive treatment for the severe cases.

Why did you cut the death graph off?

I didn’t cut if off post it yourself ffs.:sunglasses:
It shows an increase in deaths.

So it’s there, is it? I didn’t know. My phone is crap so I can’t do much with it, but I’ll check on my computer when I get home.

You need to post yourself instead of expecting to be spoonfed. :grinning:

Look, you have a valid point about deaths (death rates dropped massively since the first wave), but the danger is that this will still get out of control with the exponential growth of the virus transmission . And there are other health issues besides dying from it.

My daughter is hogging my laptop doing her homework. I’ll leave it to other posters to Google the graphs you posted and draw their own conclusions.

EDIT: Here it is:

Makes sense

1 Like

So sad in many ways:

Zaraabel’s teary interview with The Times of Israel took place Tuesday at the Galilee Medical Center in Nahariya. She admits that both she and her husband were big coronavirus cynics until the morning of August 31, when he was raced from their home in Ma’alot-Tarshiha to the hospital. They don’t know how he became infected.

“I just didn’t believe in coronavirus,” she said. “I thought it was all politics. I was sure it was nonsense, and even made faces when people mentioned it.”

https://www.timesofisrael.com/but-there-is-no-coronavirus-shocked-cynic-told-doctors-waking-up-in-hospital/

3 Likes