Coronavirus Open Thread (October-December 2020)

I don’t remember anything like that in kindergarten in Taiwan. But it’s definitely a thing to rank students by grades from elementary school. And usually the best student and the teachers pet is given the “class leader” 班長 title.

I went to my grandfathers house once. And he misheard that I was the “class leader” 班長…I remember he was really proud and excited. But then I explained I was only the head of recycling for the class… 環保長♻️

:sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Well where I am from it is like that. You hit the ground running.

Class rank here is written in the uniform though, we do not have that.

Of course Mr Cake will not reply. He happily dumps Murdoch news disinformation throughout forumosa but he cannot be bothered to read what others actually write.

Guy

3 Likes
1 Like

So maybe after we’re done with the first coronavirus and mRNA vaccines, we should focus our efforts on the development of a drug that allows people to eat 20 lbs. of lard a day and get six pack abs while watching Married… with Children reruns?

I’m way ahead of you on items 1 and 3, but more of a keg than a 6 pack right now.

That’s where Pfizer comes in.

Surely the premise is a bit wrong? The vaccine itself doesn’t “battle the virus”. Your body still has to have a functioning immune system.

It’s been known for months that, for reasons yet unknown, people with metabolic syndrome are simply less able to fight the virus. It’s logical that a vaccine can’t alter that basic fact.

“Experts say obesity, as well as other factors such as diabetes and older age, can inhibit a vaccine’s ability to produce effective antibodies against a virus.”

In other words, it doesn’t work well for precisely that demographic who are at risk. Back to the drawing board then.

Why are people still looking for a magic wand to solve all their problems? It’s nuts.

1 Like

Modern humans love magic wands.

Good one :joy::joy:

I’m quote interested in the psychology of why you are so judgmental about other people (and not only you on this thread either ). :thinking:

In the end of the day…It’s not really your business.

2 Likes

Pointing out that certain people are at risk because of their own life choices, and are therefore imposing large costs (financial and human) on society at large is not “being judgemental”.

If we’re all supposed to mind our own business, then why am I being told to wear a mask and stay at home?

2 Likes

Obesity and other diseases that are related to lifestyle, as well as environmental factors humans are responsible for, have significant social and economic impacts that affect everyone.

We’re dealing with a virus that disproportionately impacts people who have metabolic disorders that are commonly caused by poor diet and exercise habits. But despite the fact that if you’re under say 70 and don’t have these disorders, your chances of dying are miniscule, this virus has caused the entire world to stop functioning normally.

How is that not anyone’s business?

Bottom line is that humans love magic pills. And yes, lots of money is being thrown at research into magic weight loss treatments when we’ve known for years how to prevent and deal with the majority of cases of obesity and metabolic disorders related to lifestyle habits. We’re our own worst enemies. We’re putting shit into our bodies and into our environment, and it’s making us sick. And the most sensible solution is to have pharmaceutical companies develop more shit we can put into our bodies to deal with the other shit?

1 Like

There are a lot of “experts say” statements in the article but not much hard evidence to suggest that the vaccine won’t be effective in certain subgroups. But regardless of whether Covid-19 vaccines are completely effective across demographic groups, they will likely not only protect most people to take them but also contribute to herd immunity to greatly reduce transmission rates in the community. The biggest threat to the effectiveness of approved vaccines these days is people not getting them.

1 Like

Well, that’s the article’s conclusion. But I do find it absolutely incredible that nobody even wants to consider addressing the underlying problem on the basis that e.g., it’s “judgemental”. No, we just have to accept that the vaccines aren’t going to work very well for the people who are actually at risk. Helping people to become more healthy is off the table. It’s not an option.

1 Like

So now the presumption is that any given vaccine effectively protects all subgroups unless you can prove that it doesn’t?

1 Like

That is a whole industry :slight_smile: Not an easy problem to tackle. If lifestyle issues were easy to fix once you get yourself overweight and sedentary, there would not be a market for the thousands of books and weight loss programs out there. I still have not seen evidence that the Covid vaccines won’t work pretty well despite underlying health issues. And, again, if they are effective for most people, we can reduce transmission through herd immunity.

No, that was not the presumption. I haven’t seen evidence one way or the other.

Keeping people fat and unhealthy is a whole industry, as is prescribing them pharmaceutical crutches to keep them alive.

It’s a very, very easy problem to tackle. Tell people the truth, and then let them decide what they’re going to do. If they want to carry on being fat and diabetic, that’s their choice. If they end up in the ER, bill them accordingly.

And line up the nutritionists against the nearest wall.

One of the most terrifying problems that emerged from the destruction of scientific education is that everyone’s always looking for “evidence”. The reason is that the general public is ignorant of almost all scientific principles from which you can take a good guess at certain outcomes, without directly measuring what the outcome is.

If you drop an apple, it will fall. If you give a vaccine to someone who is disastrously unhealthy and has a compromised immune system, it will not work so well. No “evidence” is required.

1 Like