Coronavirus Open Thread (October-December 2020)

A nurse in a care home here contracted the virus in March but didn’t pass it on to anyone else, particularly the patients. That’s because everyone including the nurse was wearing medical masks the whole time like their lives depended on it.

3 Likes

Even if - heaven forbid- a case or two were set loose in the general population, Taiwan can do the contact tracing quite effectively. And is able to provide medical care in suitable conditions, plus the authorities have the support of the public to trace or take any measures required to maintain people alive and well and working and shopping and eating out and getting stuck on the highway while going out on vacation.

Moreover, protecting the Medical staff is priority. The Taiwan government won’t allow a Hoping Hospital Again, ever. That is why we have masks and protective gear and negative pressure rooms to our heart’s content.

Again, we have the advantage of experience.

4 Likes

Minimising spread is great, but we don’t want to become the island where nobody has the virus if it becomes uncontrollable everywhere else. Which it appears to be.

Where do we go from there?

This is not a problem. This is an option. Taiwan is doing extraordinarily well, on some measures it is doing the best economically and health wise in the whole world through this thing.

Are you for forgetting all the vaccines in development ? China already has three or four supposedly.

2 Likes

I would never criticise Taiwan’s response.

Whether it’s workable long term is an issue.

I think it’s not that complicated. Vaccinate the entire population, ask all visitors to prove vaccination. In the medium term use rapid antigen tests on all visitors.
This thing , very unfortunately, is going to run through next year but next year we shall see the light at the end of the tunnel. Either way Taiwan is set up well I’m not worried about the virus at all here, other stuff is much more concerning i.e. the bogeyman to the West. Economically Taiwan has lucked out not being dependent on foreign tourists or services.

Vaccinate the entire population? In what time frame.

I do generally agree with you. But come on

One either keeps it out 100%, or it’s unstoppable.

Now there is “Long Covid”. Still too early to know what percentage of those infected have long-term symptoms. Insidious virus.

FIFY

Winter is coming

Have you ever been in a real winter?
No substitute for the real thing. I do dislike animals being caged but have no problem with harvesting furs humanely.

I hope Taiwan doesn’t come to rely on the antigen tests. They are too prone to false negatives as the whole fiasco with Trump showed.

Taiwan’s success is based on not trusting China, taking action early (shutting down tourism, etc.), everybody wearing masks, requiring new arrivals to quarantine, and a bit of luck.

We are not the only ones. And to be honest, remember we have a tiger biting at our ankles, we can’t afford to stumble.

Yes they are not something to be relied on solely.
Or you could do it another way, antibody testing and vaccination. Antibody levels will vary over time, and new strains will appear though…So there’s no perfect way. I guess PCR test with vaccine cert and ab test would be pretty good but expensive!

Quarantine will be stopped sooner or later. Maybe anybody who has not been vaccinated and shows no antibody response will still be quarantined.

OT, but mink are not raised or killed humanely.

This is turning into an absolute shitshow, Westminster should be ashamed of themselves.

1 Like

This is weird:

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/influencer-dmitriy-stuzhuk-dies-covid-032800603.html

Just 33 and apparently fit - must have been something else going on behind the scenes for the unnatural cardiac stress.

Also very odd that anyone still believes that Covid-19 isn’t real.

I looked at his Instagram, he’s a pretty big guy. Sometimes being big is hard on the heart. And I suspect possible chemical enhancement, most of them have negative cardiovascular effects. I don’t know for sure; but he’s on the upper edge of natty. But he looks to be in that shape year round, which is really difficult.

1 Like

Covid can cause heart problems, heart muscle inflammation .

1 Like