Coronavirus Open Thread (October-December 2020)

Done for? Daily deaths have been zero or single figures in Sweden for the past two months, haven’t they?

Why? India has a massive population often living in crowded conditions and no decent healthcare for most of them.

3 Likes

I’m surprised mostly because I haven’t checked the numbers in a while. Also because the US will be number 2 on that list soon. But I guess otherwise not that surprised, now that you put it that way.

Aren’t the slums around Mumbai already at over 50% infected rate?

1 Like

No. And because the hospitals haven’t been overloaded. If/when that happens, the death rate will/might go up. I think the strategy here is to try to prevent that scenario, not wait until we’re already there before we take action. So now they’ll be increasing the information/warnings so people are well informed.

Edit: you were correct about the numbers.

That’s a very sensible strategy.

1 Like

Interesting article

That’s a strange article. Nobody suggested that Sweden would achieve a lower mortality rate by not locking down. Of course it was going to be high relative to other countries.

2 Likes

Relative being the key word. How many deaths are acceptable?

Zero. Therefore virtually every country has failed. Just as every country fails with traffic fatalities that are tolerated for economic reasons.

Zero? That’s fairly hard line. As the great man Thump once said whilst shrugging his shoulders, “200,000 dead? It is what it is…”

Taiwan once tolerated hundreds of deaths a year from speeding cement trucks in central Taiwan because, well, it needed the cement. Sad days they were.

It’s a good point, but I think it means we’ve failed with traffic management more than the ‘economic reasons’ in many cases. To get zero traffic fatalities would indeed mean no cars for a start. But there’s still a big difference between, ten, one hundred or a thousand a year fatalities. That’s why we have regulations for speeding, seat belt wearing, car manufacturers etc.

2 Likes

Since the title is only named coronavirus without specifying which one, this deserves to be here, as it’s on course to being named COVID-20

Oh yeah, it’s also from China. The virus’ official name is Swine Acute Diarrhea Syndrome Coronavirus (SADS-CoV). Lovely. I do not want to get it at all. I already spend enough time on the john as it is. With China still having a firm grip on the UN and the WHO, the disease, if it ever makes the jump to humans, is certainly not going to be called the Chinese Diarrhea, so COVID-20 it is. I’m sure the Chinese would called it Xin Xin Guanzhuang Bingdu (New New Coronavirus).

1 Like

I don’t get the curfew thing. Is the virus less contagious before.

:de: Germany covid-19

• 7600 new confirmed cases in the last 24h
  • 39 deaths in the last 24h
  • 879 patients are in the ICU
  • 411 patients need to be ventilated

:scream: :scream: :scream:The run on bog roll will be for real next time (perhaps a waddle rather than run due to the eh…runs!).

1 Like

Shockingly poor article, seems to have been written with a conclusion in mind and don’t let any of the data get in the way. The data presented in the article itself contradicts what the author is saying!

4 Likes

More weak positives! Another 3 test positive when travelling from Taiwan to Japan…https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/4034624

This piece was linked earlier in the Taiwan Coronavirus thread—and was responded to over there.

Cheers,
Guy

Fantastic.

1 Like