Coronavirus - Taiwan 2021

People here like to give locals flak about lax mask wearing and hand hygiene practice, but Taiwan has only one severe influenza case so far since the beginning of the 2020-2021 flu season. Taiwan must be the luckiest country in the world! :roll:
https://www.cdc.gov.tw/En/File/Get/yyS-66V5JZWWT-I6k8klpQ

4 Likes

Movements from the latest domestic cases that were announced yesterday.

It’s not unfortunately . It’s a very typical and boring Taiwanese commuter city.

3 Likes

Strange is relative. Taoyuan isn’t strange compared to many other cities in Taiwan? That I’ll buy. Not dissimilar to Changhua.

Do they pay you if you don’t go.in ?I heard this is a problem in the US.

Plus we can’t get the special insurance for COVID, which had people lining up for blocks… Deadline was yesterday, I think.

@tommy525 certain people are allergic to components in certain vaccines, that is why we have several types/companies. My pal in Singapore can’t get his, even though he works in a hospital, as he is allergic to the components in the one being given now, so he has to wait for another brand. I am very allergic to many things, and so is my brother who is a doctor. He got his, so far so good. But I would trust the made in Taiwan more. I’ll wait.

According to the CECC, the husband was an inpatient at the hospital from Jan. 8-11 due to health problems unrelated to COVID-19, during which time his wife looked after him.

So far, the CECC has not found any contacts between the couple and the 13 others linked to the hospital previously confirmed with COVID-19.

A total of 195 medical workers the couple may have had contact with at the hospital, most of whom are part of the surgery department, have tested negative for COVID-19, Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung (陳時中), who heads the CECC, said at a press conference Monday.

These medical workers will now be tested for COVID-19 antibodies to see if they previously contracted the disease, Chen said.

Chen also announced on Monday a list of places in Taoyuan the husband and wife visited prior to testing positive.

These include Danan Market in the city’s Bade District, the Start on Start Dim Sum Restaurant on Jingguo road, the PX Mart on Dongyong North Road and Moominlu Bakery.

The couple also visited medical facilities outside the hospital and played ping pong with friends before testing positive, but as the CECC has quarantined everyone they came into contact with at these places, they will not be made public, Chen said.

yea this really seems like the answer to deal with inland transmission. It’s a sad state that england still hasn’t cottoned on.

My own mother had the track and trace app. It told her to quarantine, without any explanation after going to one shop. Then, at her own job she literally came into contact with a co worker with the virus and nothing happened with it, neither from the fail of a tracking system or from the management. 2 people in the store had to quarantine out of god knows how many.

3 Likes

This noncompliant returnee was apparently nailed for the full NT$1,000,000.

Guy

9 Likes

Brilliant. Come down heavily on the selfish fucks.

14 Likes

Yup. Signal publicly that this absolutely won’t be tolerated.

Guy

4 Likes

im not sure. i believe there is two weeks pay if they require you to stay home. But so far they just wanted me out of there for a few days. I will call them tomorrow see if they want me in. And if not i gotta ask.

what about the money?? We dont live on air alone in the bay area.

All along I have believed that there were not vaccines in Taiwan.
Well, I was gullible to believe in such a lie: https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/4059792

The article doesn’t say there are any approved vaccines in Taiwan. It just says when they plan to start vaccinating, which we already knew, and that Taiwan is developing their own vaccines, which we also knew.

3 Likes

Yeah. Like I said previously, my doctor friend says he’s hearing “April” as start time a lot. Of course it’ll just be healthcare workers at first. Don’t know how reliable his info is, but he has no reason to lie.

Maybe we can get furriners classified as a high risk category. Although my advanced years already get me some way up the queue.

2 Likes

I’m in the priority list for sure too. :older_man:

1 Like

Should be. Don’t we supposedly all have AIDS from the wild monkey sex we’ve had with hundreds of partners?

2 Likes

The guy who traveled to USA during pandemic should be made to visit each one of them and apologize (after he recovered from covid).

6 Likes

Presently, 2,991 people linked to the hospital cluster are already undergoing quarantine, and it is estimated that more than 5,000 will be among the contacts listed by Chen.

However, officials have only been able to contact 578 patients who were discharged during that period. They have not been able to contact anyone living with the discharged patients or their caregivers, and the Taoyuan Police Department is inviting members of the public to assist in finding them.

:thinking:

Playing devil’s advocate: why? Even though it’s easy to argue that it’s selfish to travel during a pandemic, Taiwan made a conscious decision to allow people to leave and come back, ostensibly on the basis that it was prepared to enforce its quarantine requirements and deal with the people who inevitably came back infected.

Other countries, like Australia, have chosen a different policy.

2 Likes