Coronavirus - Taiwan 2021

It’s part of a multi-pronged approach. It needs to be accompanied by hand-washing, mask-wearing, etc.

1 Like

But there is no “social distancing”, mate. People packed like sardines into buses and the MRT, students crammed into classrooms, punters cheek-to-cheek in night markets, etc.
It ain’t happening.

5 Likes

This is typical of how Taiwan has been “social distancing” during the pandemic:

I’ve been to some bars/clubs too. Masks are very very few…
People mainly wear masks on the streets, plus in public transport and shopping.

That won’t do much. Most superspreading in Europe that could be traced was bars and workplaces… Go figure that the reason for no covid-19 outbreak must be something else - but for sure not the social distancing… (yes it will help a bit - but not much)

2 nights ago - 300 people packed. Waiter wore no masks, took a video for friends back home showing them the good life here. Could not see a single mask in the vid but over 100 faces… Live music…
Bar in Taipei - punk concert. Masks went off pretty soon. Stagediving, and so on. Yes but maybe old people isolate a bit better here. I don’t think that Vitamin D is the reason for all of it. But the main reason. Second reason closed borders/quarantine. Third reason the current regulations. Together enough to get R into the 0.8-1.2 range or so…

No tan-line, but once I did get home and discover a bit of sauce smeared at the side of my mouth. Hadn’t seen it in the hours since lunch because it has been covered by a mask every time I saw a mirror. Presumably that means no one else saw it either.

3 Likes

It just needs to help enough.

Once, all factors considered, the R rate is under 1, it will disappear ESPECIALLY if numbers are already very low…

Actually Taiwan extended school holidays and also cancelled face to face uni classes, all large events. They have been enforcing and encouraging social distancing at key times and places.
Recently Taoyuan was a good example of that and mask use has shot up massively there and required to wear in all stores and public buildings and public transport .

Makes your skin go ‘black’!

2 Likes

If I may present my theory: it is the quality of the masks. Ours here are surgical grade, made of plastic, built to keep a droplet charged with virus at bay.

The common citizens abroad are still wearing cloth masks, not even silk ones…

4 Likes

What is today’s report?

Two more reported imported cases today—one from the Philippines and one from Malaysia:

Guy

4 Likes

And maybe surgical grade masks plus humidity (Taiwan has both). Perhaps in the Old Countries the masks are drying out a lot quicker.

Well, in the old country they say masks give you pneumonia…and quote doctors such as Fauci himself, imagine that.

They are also wearing cloth masks, general public that is. Doctors wore plastic bags for a while but it seems now they have an N95 per day rather than per week.

1 Like

No local, 1 imported:

為印尼籍20多歲男性漁工,今(2021)年2月4日來臺工作,持有搭機前3日內檢驗陰性報告,入境後至集中檢疫所檢疫,並無症狀。
指揮中心表示,個案於2月17日接受檢疫期滿前採檢,因檢出COVID-19陽性於今日確診。由於個案無症狀,且檢疫期間未與他人接觸,因此無匡列接觸者。

Indonesian fisherman in his 20s who came to work in Taiwan on 2/4. He provided a negative test and went into quarantine. He was tested on 2/17 before his quarantine was over and the result came back positive. Since he was asymptomatic and in quarantine no contacts are listed.

4 Likes

Todays update

快訊》今境內境外都加零!陳時中親揭案939感染真相 (msn.com)

Zeros both inside and outside Taiwan (ROC) today! Chen Shizhong reveals the truth about 939 infection

2 Likes

The zeros are good news; the arrival in Taiwan of the Brazil variant is however more troubling:

Guy

2 Likes

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asia/covid-19-taiwan-confirms-brazil-variant-3-cases-quarantine-14248914

2 Likes

Compulsory government quarantine from now on for arrivals from Brazil.

2 Likes

He was carrying a packet of amphetamines, a category 2 narcotic … urine test result revealed recent amphetamine use

Expensive hit

5 Likes

Addiction is no joke.

Guy

2 Likes

We don’t know addiction is involved here though.