Coronavirus - Taiwan 2021

I would assume the authorities know all this, but consider the economic damage from closing offices too high.

In my humble view this is the wrong decision, will not lead to zero covid and probably have higher economic costs than decisive action, but it is what it is

1 Like

Well if they watched what happened in the rest of the world, they’d know the inevitable next chapter in this story. The virus got in and it’s spreading rapidly. Hospitals are filling up and people are already dying.

They can’t save the economy but they might be able to save some lives.

2 Likes

Source: Chase Nelson twitter

7 Likes

I know several diplomats and I have to respectfully disagree, he was protecting America’s interest by being open and honest. If he said something that was interpreted by the media as affirmation that the US would be sending vaccines to Taiwan, when they didn’t actually arrive, because they are needed more else where, all of you that are mad about how he answered, would be even angrier at him for not delivering.

It’s a darned if you do, darned if you don’t situation since no one here is being reasonable and honestly looking at the situation of Taiwan versus all of the US’s other allies.

1 Like

Ok, back to work

A post was merged into an existing topic: Taiwan has the right to self determination

It’s the job of diplomats to be diplomatic. He could have expressed the same set of facts in a much more diplomatic manner, but he didn’t.

That’s what really gets me about the situation now, actually. The CDC clearly has many educated, competent people in it, and did a fantastic job for over a year. I’m curious as to where the disconnect was with the situation now. I don’t believe that with their track record it’s entirely on the CDC. Was it higher-up politicians outside of the CDC? Pride? Lack of funding? Or maybe I’m giving Chen too much credit and they’ve been completely blindsided by this. Someone posted a couple days ago about China Airlines (?) putting pressure on the CDC to shorten pilot quarantine, which makes me wonder if there was some other pressure keeping them from properly preparing for this eventuality.

I am incredibly thankful they did as good of a job as they did and I got to spend my last year in Taiwan living life normally. Damn shame that all the hard work they did and good press they got is going down the drain now.

5 Likes

Outbreak in a long-term care facility. We’ve seen this story in other countries too and know how it ends. :frowning_face:

4 Likes

Ambassadors are quite often political appointees. Diplomacy isn’t a necessary prerequisite for them (though Brent Christensen is a career diplomat).

Is it possible to please tone things down a bit?

Your fellow forumosans will thank you. :slightly_smiling_face:

Guy

3 Likes

The current backlogs are adding 150 to 250 to the initial count of each day. To be precise, the final count of a particular day seems to be around 150-250 more than what was announced on that day.

Although TPR has decreased a bit, the backlogs have only increased from May 20 (~30k) to May 27 (~45k). So we can expect today’s real count to be around 600 at least. Should be a new
(raw count) peak quite easily.

4 Likes

If the current backlog adds 150 each day, and the delay is as far back as 9 days, won’t that add 1350 to today’s count? Guess we’ll find out in 10 days.

1 Like

I meant 150-200 is added after all the backlog is resolved. So ~200 will be added over 10 days (usually a decreasing function).

I now believe schools will be closed until summer holidays. Restaurants and shops will have restrictions until the same time.

This will hurt families and teachers come the new semester.

Taiwan will need to begin some serious economic stimulus soon.

3 Likes

Let’s see if they gonna fuck us 外國人 over again.

1 Like

That is a Taiwan friendly guarantee. Delivered with a smile.

2 Likes

Probably giving Chen too much credit, and not realizing how controversial his decision to split up families is. He barred a very young child of PRC and ROC parents from entering Taiwan for political gain.

And yes, 范雲 (allegedly) pressure to make pilot quarantine from 5 days to 3 days.

Our office has hinted that we will work from home till we are back in level 2, so what are the current requirements for us to move back into level 2?

1 Like

I would not count of this happening any time soon.

I would love to be proven wrong though!

Guy

4 Likes