Coronavirus - Taiwan 2021

While being very careful to call Taiwan a “government”, not a “country”. :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

They also said UK government to be fair. (UK had a mainland capital ie EU before). Here, same news paper calls Taiwan and country How Taiwan's 'civic hackers' helped find a new way to run the country | Technology | The Guardian

say what?

Brussels was the EU capital I thought, maybe I was wrong? UK was under the EU before???

The EU isn’t a country…Brussels wasn’t the capital of the UK, no matter what Brexiters might say.

4 Likes

If they called the UK and New Zealand “countries”, they would have been in a sticky situation with regards to Taiwan. The deftly side-stepped that by calling them all “governments”.

1 Like

Good News report !

2 Likes

Best of both worlds.

Warranted or f#@ked over?! There’s obviously two sides to every story and we’re only seeing one but it does seem to veer towards the f$#ked over side!

Eileen Carls on Instagram: “This video is for all the people who come back to Taiwan, or the people who have friends coming back. Don’t let this happen to you/them.…”

1 Like

7 years ago. i figured out how to use the camera portion of Google Translate before signing shit.

This woman’s an idiot.

1 Like
  1. Do. Not. Piss. Off. Your. Neighbors.

Learn the Taiwanese way. Smile outside, keep hate hidden.

The neighbors were obviously waiting to pounce on her. Probably even the guard tipped them off.

Let’s be charitable and say the neighbors were paranoid about someone coming from abroad. And then she takes the elevator 3 times…

Yes, she was sugar deprived. But as a foreigner, you can’t let your guard down. You are conspicuous. And they already have ill will against you? You’re as she said, screwed.

Yes, other people have done it before with no issues. It is the roll of the dice. Sometimes the bear gets you.

That said, it sucks for her. I’d move from that building pronto. For starters.

5 Likes

Well. Cat’s outta the bag. Now only one thing to do when out of quarantine. Start a passive aggressive, yet legal, war.

Blare the music day in and day out until 10pm.

Hell no.

Getta outta dodge ASAP.

This was really mean on their part. If it happened as she said, she is already on their cross hairs all the time. Why waste money and time pissing them off? They are already pissed enough. Making noise or anything that she may do to inconvenience them will only backfire. She has no one on her side. That would only achieve raising more trouble for her.

She needs to take the higher ground. Going to war with locals as revenge will not gain her anything, not even satisfaction. If she could make s point or gain something, but nothing will come out of it. Nothing good.

1 Like

Or they insult her publicly and she wins $30000

I dunno but I have duked it out twice and won.

1 Like

Since they were threatening to sue her within 15 minutes of getting home, having already called the authorities and taking pictures of her in the elevator…all without showing their faces… I’d say the chances of provoking them into slipping into insults without covering their behinds is quite low.

Cowards, yes. Idiots…fear not.

1 Like

It’s also illegal to dig into quarantine information.

But. She should consult with a lawyer anytime she is dealing with the police.

3 Likes

Exactly.

And never sign anything without backup. Witnesses, friends, allies. Lawyer best.

But I fear even without signing she was already in hot water. Those neighbors would not give up.

The problem with backing down from these assholes is that backing down enables their behaviour.

Now… I live an airtight life. That’s why I can fight back and put them in hot water.

But… People who live in glass houses shouldn’t throw stones.

4 Likes

I’d guess the guard took the screen shot from the elevator camera and sent it in. The local lizhangs are aware of who is quarantining in each area and I wouldn’t be surprised if they’ve recruited the door guards to keep watch.

Technically she did break quarantine, should have stayed kerbside until her food arrived or had the guard let the delivery guy up to her door. The story kind of falls apart with the whole lost ring thing and not fully understanding the quarantine rules yet stating that she’s fluent in Chinese and can read and write.

I would have thought a slap on the wrist with a warning would have been enough, the forced quarantine and fine seems over the top however there may be more to the story than we’ve been told.

6 Likes

do you remember a poor migrant worker who stepped out for seconds and fined 100k or something.

4 Likes