Coronavirus - Taiwan 2021

… and you got eat ice cream!

Yep, that too. OT a bit, but in my case it was a ‘job lot’ at the local hospital, about 5 of us kids from school one after the other. We got told ‘winnie the pooh’ by one doc, as the other plonked a rag soaked in chloroform over our faces, lights went out, and when we woke with a sore throat we were given ice cream.

In my time. OPP are police.

This song often confused me when I was younger.

2 Likes

Seems the nurse went to university for final exams: https://udn.com/news/story/120940/5168365?from=udn_ch2_menu_v2_main_index

Now remember the advantage Taiwan has, as an average special hospital - not all hospitals are allowed nor prepared to take COVID patients- may have 2 or 3 COVID patients at a time. The whole Taiwan as of today has 101 COVID patients receiving treatment, compared to say 50 thousand in other countries.

So all resources in local hospitals are focused on those few patients and safety.

BTW for the OPP crowd the Taiwan CDC press release says the doctor and nurse live together. So nope.

So we have two medical staff sick now, compared to the old country where they have over a thousand.

The local staff knows they are on the frontline to get sick. So they are zealous about mask wearing in public. Obviously if you live together and boink and all ya ain’t wearing masks all the time at home…

3 Likes

An updated report has been posted by Focus Taiwan:

Guy

2 Likes

I wonder what the purpose of not naming the hospital is? If that hospital isn’t accepting emergency patients anymore as stated in some of the articles, presumably people are going to figure out which one it is sooner or later. What happens when someone shows up with an actual emergency - does the hospital just say they’re redecorating?

1 Like

The ambulances were sent messages that there were no beds available at that time. This ocassionally happens during normal times. They just reroute to another hospital.

I am waiting to see which of the press corps will break first. I guess the CECC already warned them of the consequences of revealing too much.

If they reveal which hospital, then they will know which doctor/nurse, which goes against patient privacy pledge taken by the CECC.

1 Like

I always feel an immense sense of dread come over me when I arrive home from work at night and see 200 new posts in this thread.

8 Likes

Meanwhile, patients at clinics and hospitals in Taiwan routinely have sensitive medical information revealed because multiple patients are allowed into rooms at one time, etc. :roll_eyes:

I was waiting for my dinner at a restaurant that had the news on and I was like “oh no, I need to get to my computer so I can check Forumosa instead of trying to follow the Chinese subtitles moving too fast”

2 Likes

I also love how well anonymized my name often is on clinic waiting lists:

A§DREW JOHN SMITH (not my real middle and last names, obviously)

…as though nobody would be able to figure out the code. I admit it’s convenient for seeing from a distance which is my clinic, though - just look for the messed-up display.

3 Likes

Doesn’t your health card have a chinese name?

1 Like

Nah. F$ck that sh¥t.

2 Likes

24 posts were merged into an existing topic: From coronavirus

Honestly, there is no need for the public to know the specifics and which hospital it is. Since pretty much everybody carry their cellphones where ever they go, authorities will always know where u went and at what time, that’s why it’s called contact tracing. And if you unfortunately happened to be at the same place the doc/girlfriend went during that timeframe the CECC will contact you.

In the west people will see this as an intrusion to privacy, but hey, Taiwan is doing this so that the pandemic doesn’t spread like wildfire. If you didn’t get a call from the CECC out of the blue then you are fine.

I can finally visit Ikea and Taimall on the weekend without getting squashed.

1 Like

At least for a week.

Now we need some suspect case to go to the Gloria Outlets. I really wish to visit but the crowds are insane.

Just kidding.

1 Like

Actually reading the news about some of the cases - discovered 1 week after quarantine - but with negative test at the end of quarantine - I since quite a few weeks don’t believe in 0 cases in Taiwan anymore.

I’m sure covid-19 is just not very dangerous here - with Taiwan having the highest vitamin-D levels of any developed country. Hence for most of the year - R will be around 0.8-1.2 maybe. Also the lowest Vitamin-D levels here are not with the elder, but with the 30-39 year old female - which are not a risk group.
Vitamin D deficiency in elder is <10%. That’s why Taiwan coped so well - the measures imposed were good and helped, but the real deal is the low vitamin D deficiency. Same reason why in Europa Norway and Finland get away with much less strict measures, and Denmark/Sweden kinda okay. While super Vitamin D deficient countries like Italy take the ****

Now I think the government knows about Covid-19 slowly spreading - that’s why they put the mask edict since 01. december. Luckily soon it will get sunnier again - and if it hasn’t spread badly by March, it will go away again. Clearly the government must have that strategy, while not telling the people to stop panic and keep Taiwan officially covid free…

I know this opinion is way against the mainstream - but reading up on all proper studies on Vitamin-D and coronavirus - I think it’s quite safe to assume that Vitamin D is the vital part in this. Just really speculating about the government actions where I take more a guess in the blue.

I couldn’t find any other developed country with less Vitamin D deficient people than Taiwan. It’s ahead of Norway/Finland. India on the other hand - huge deficiency but rather young people. Otherwise that would be the worst hit country (people living close to each other / no good sanitation, low Vitamin D, and so on). There is a clear correlation between Vitamin D deficiency and Coronavirus spreading.
Only some stupid studies not showing it - like giving people in ICU vitamin D instead of Calcifediol (Brazil, cause Vitamin D takes 7-14 days to rise - and if the cytokine storm is already there/over than it’s too late) - or studies just dosing ridiculously low. Most adults would need to supplement 4000IU per day, 400IU won’t do anything significant…