Coronavirus - Taiwan 2021

What chaos?

1 Like

Damn it. We don’t want them here.

1 Like

I know this is probably poetic license, but on the streets here things are just quiet. I’m sure people are on-edge in hospital crowds and lines, but the day-to-day situation for most people is certainly not chaos.

3 Likes

Build a wall! And make them pay for it!

4 Likes

I should make the Chinese pay for it since they started this nightmare to begin with. That or the Lion Club.

3 Likes

CAL is responsible .

1 Like

The government is responsible.

Ultimately, yes. Agreeing to the ridiculous quarantine policy relaxation for pilots…

Also for not being serious enough about vaccine procurement.

Also not running community and clinic rapid testing to pick up community cases earlier.

4 Likes

For this outbreak. But if we want to go to the roots, it’s always been a lab in Wuhan that didn’t exercise proper safety controls. One lazy or incompetent and anonymous scientist is probably responsible for this global nightmare.

5 Likes

Isn’t CAL state owned anyway?

1 Like

Yeah, perhaps, but at some point we have to get over that and focus on the actual current problem. I guess it’s human nature to look for a bad person or thing to blame, and people living in Taiwan nature to complain about China, but not sure how useful it is here.

Viruses etc. have been around as long as we have anyway, co-evolving with us and other animals, so this kind of stuff is pretty inevitable irrespective of which bit of land it came from. (I get the point about the CCP’s lack of openness in the initial spread and all that, and the possible role of researchers in Wuhan.)

2 Likes

My wife just called because she has to go in this week and was told there should be no issue as long as she has proof that she’s leaving the country.

(EDIT: Oops, accidentally posted this as a reply. Sorry, not sure how to undo that.)

I was just doing a quick search to see how worried we should be about people still needing to commute on the MRT. Maybe not too worried? The article below is from last August, updated a couple of weeks ago; I’d be curious to read more about Japan’s and Korea’s experiences with spread on public transport, because they’re somewhat close analogues to Taipei.

A few key quotes and, um, maybe a few extra:

there have been no notable superspreader events linked to mass transit

subways, commuter railways and buses may not be a significant source of transmission, as long as riders wear masks and train cars or buses never become as intensely crowded as they did in pre-pandemic rush hours. [Gulp.]

in Tokyo, where public health authorities have aggressively traced virus clusters, none have been linked to the city’s famously crowded rail lines. [I am very, very curious if this is August 2020 or May 2021 information]

riding the subway is probably riskier than walking outdoors but safer than indoor dining.

In New York’s subway trains, transit officials say, the filtered air that circulates through a car is replaced with fresh air at least 18 times an hour. That is a much higher than the recommended air-exchange rates in restaurants, where recycled air is replaced eight to 12 times per hour, or in offices, where it is replaced six to eight times an hour. [So, anyone have any info about air-exchange rate in Taipei’s MRT?]

Hong Kong is one city where public transit ridership is still lower than before the pandemic, and it has not “seen a big outbreak associated with public transit,” said David Hui, the director of the Stanley Ho Center for Emerging Infectious Diseases at the Chinese University of Hong Kong.

But, he added: “If not for the work-from-home measure, both buses and the subway would be full of people. In that case, I believe there could have been a serious outbreak.”

2 Likes

The key reason there are no documented superspreader events on public transport is likely not that there are none, but that it is extremely difficult to prove them given that there is normally no name registration of passengers.

If you have any chance to avoid public transport, then you should definitely do this

2 Likes

I don’t think this has been posted yet. It looks like the social distancing app has been updated to English.

9 Likes

Hence my particular interest in the Tokyo result and if it still holds; Japan has - or at least had - aggressive tracing.

Yeah, but absence of evidence can be a pretty good reason for people to not feel terrified as they go through their commute - which is certainly what’s going on for some of the people I talk to (and, er, live with).

Not that I’m happy about crowds being on public transit; I’m very glad I can walk to work, and I was idly wondering how long it’ll be until I’m on the MRT again (over-under is at two weeks, I figure). I think work from home and distance learning should be more aggressively promoted. But commuting on non-packed trains, while definitely a risk, doesn’t seem a giant source of risk.

It’s been posted over in the “Taiwan launches social distancing app” thread:

3 Likes

Posted, but in the other thread. I’m guessing this will be buried when today’s…514 cases are announced.

EDIT: this is my prediction/guess, not an official/reported number.

Maybe point out that’s a guess? It gets seriously confusing (and sometimes terrifying!) in this thread when people post numbers without much context. Are they guessing? Are they watching breaking news? Do they know something the rest of us don’t know? From context right now, it’s clear that’s a guess, but who knows what things will look like 30 minutes / 200 posts from now.

2 Likes

My GUESS for today is 426! Yours?

Yeah, good idea. I was actually thinking the same before you commented. Done now!

1 Like