Coronavirus - Taiwan 2021

Guys be careful with the info you share. Aside from the usual LINE rumors, the irresponsible press is releasing info before the CECC announces or verifies it.

One thing that bothered me from the presser was that, aside from constantly focusing on costs and how much to pay for whatever tests, overtime, compensation for businesses affected by cases having been there, of course, they also had to go after the foreign caregiver. One reporter started stating almost as a fact that the caregiver had met with other caregivers and that those caregivers had gone to care for other patients in other hospitals and then how many dangerous locations were going to be closed. This was an ill intentioned comment to which the CECC member replied that first of all, where did she get such information as they had said none of that, not even had heard anything of that sort as that the caregiver in question had very little free time as her employer was helpless without her, not being able to do anything by herself and that they done the respective contact search already.

So some of the press these days is out for blood, ready to stir trouble.

11 Likes

They should just shut the border. No incoming flights. Simple.

1 Like

And let people starve? We’re trying to prevent deaths.

1 Like

I wonder why no one gives a fuck when locals wear their mask like this.

8 Likes

Because she’s a local. If it had been a foreigner…

1 Like

Alert the news crews!!!

I told her, just put on your friggin’ mask!

1 Like

Not true at least in the cases I have seen in Taipei, although every case of course is different. I have several times seen in cases like this on the MRT that other Taiwanese point out the problem to the person involved. Also when somebody else’s face mask was broken on the MRT, I have even seen another Taiwanese passenger gift a face mask to this (to him unrelated) person.

1 Like

Her mask wasn’t broken and she intentionally put it down.

1 Like

Taiwanese are the most friendly in the world!!

1 Like

Passenger flights obviously. Cargo pilots could stay in their cockpits and leave again after refueling.

You bring up a good point about food self-sufficiency. 32% isn’t acceptable and something should be done. Countries need to be food and energy independent.

1 Like

I thought that was the proper way to wear it.

Can’t do that. It’s not only unconstutional, it’s inhumane to leave our fellow citizens behind to burn…even if some have made very stupid and selfish decisions.

Need to be, but often easier said than done for a lot of countries.

We’ve done a good job and there is no reason why we can’t defeat it again. Taiwan will win 2019-III as hard as Taiwan won 2019-II.

1 Like

People not wearing masks is really getting to me. A few weeks back at Costco, a middle aged maskless a-hole and his equally maskless elderly mother were being a-holes to me and a friend (loudly demanding that the staff call the police because they heard my friend say 幹 and insisted the insult was directed at them). I was so tired of them making a scene and screeching about “你們ABCs受什麼教育!” (to my very Taiwanese/speaks no English/def not an ABC friend) that I finally first told them to stay at least two meters away from me because they couldn’t bother to wear masks and then asked why they weren’t wearing masks and told them that if they were so jealous of Americans that they needed to call the cops on a Taiwanese person that they thought was American, maybe they should take their maskless faces to a Costco in the US instead of flaunting the federal law here. I then asked the staff why they were willing to call the cops on account of alleged swearing but weren’t addressing the lack of masks on the accusers. The staff was all shoulder shrugs and “we only check that people wear masks when they enter the building”. When the cops showed up (eyes rolling far into the backs of their heads), they had nothing to say to the maskless a-holes either.

I have now shorted my “WTF is wrong with you put on your effing mask” statements to “你的口罩呢"? (ni de kouzhao ne?). Which is short, to the point, and doesn’t give anyone enough time to pretend they can’t understand you/don’t have time to hear you/realize you’re a foreigner.

2 Likes

Are you sure there are no emergency powers capable of closing the border? I find that hard to believe.

Not in democracies. It would be something like total nuclear war before they shut down.

Most emergency laws in liberal democracies have been neutered and must follow constitutional frameworks to avoid things like Chiang Kai Shek or Thailand’s coup of the week happening again.

And. We are far far far away from any state of emergency in Taiwan.

We are panicking over 5ish cases.
Ontario runs around Taiwan multiple times a day.

Shutting down the border is taking a sledgehammer to kill a fly.

3 Likes

Australia is a democracy and it has even tighter border controls and quarantine requirements than Taiwan.

Also, addressing one of the biggest problems, which is selfish Taiwanese leaving and coming back, also see Australia.

https://covid19.homeaffairs.gov.au/leaving-australia

If you are an Australian citizen or a permanent resident you cannot leave Australia due to COVID-19 restrictions unless you have an exemption. You can apply online but you must meet at least one of the following:

• your travel is as part of the response to the COVID-19 outbreak, including the provision of aid
  • your travel is for your business/employer
  • you are travelling to receive urgent medical treatment that is not available in Australia
  • you are travelling outside Australia for a compelling reason for three months or longer
  • you are travelling on compassionate or humanitarian grounds
  • your travel is in the national interest.

You must provide evidence to support your claims. Requests may be finalised without further consideration if insufficient evidence is provided.

It’s not crazy to suggest that Taiwan follow this approach. Need to go abroad? Prove it. Otherwise, if you leave, be prepared to stay abroad for a while.

7 Likes

42 U.S. Code §265

Allows even citizens to be barred entry.

It allows for “the suspension of entries and imports from designated places to prevent spread of communicable diseases.” This law dictates that if the Surgeon General finds that a communicable disease in a foreign country poses a serious danger of being introduced into the United States, then the government could bar people and property coming from that country—and the law does not exempt U.S. citizens.

I can say Australia is a bitch with absolute certainty. Getting packages to clients is a nightmare.

But I wasn’t referring to people exiting. I was referring to people entering.

1 Like