Coronavirus - Taiwan 2021

The drills are a warning to be prepared

2 Likes

I thought you were not alarmist.

At this stage we don’t know how things will go in the US either.

It’s not a warning, it a practice simulation to prepare the people responsible for making sure all the Level 4 precautions and restrictions are carried out properly.

They’re both.

Ko wouldn’t be saying this if it were not for the escalating cases in greater Taipei, particularly in hospitals.

The US is a huge country with 50 different states. Population is over 10x bigger. Land mass is over 273x bigger.

CA is currently at 2.4 cases per 100,000 people. Positive test rate is 0.9%. CA has done more tests in the past week than TW has done in the entire pandemic. 56% of the population has received 1 dose of vaccine, over 40% are fully vaxxed. If you exclude poor, rural areas (inland), the vaccination rates are even higher.

CA is opening up, TW is locking down.

As someone who just left TW and is now in CA, it’s obvious things have changed now that TW’s firewall has failed. CA (and much of the US) is in a much better place than TW.

2 Likes

And I’m not sure what I will order for dinner tomorrow

1 Like

And I’m not sure how this has to do with coronavirus :wink:

Read between the lines?

Heh. Ok :wink:

1 Like

Fact is there is a lot of unknowns the virus still attacking the world

We don’t know how it’s going to be exactly for Taiwan

But I kept my cool when I lost my job and didn’t know how things will go

Supermarkets were cleaned out of of all things toilet paper

Wife and I kept sane with daily walks and net flix

We hunkered down she cooked and we kept expenses real low

We didn’t know how things were gonna go
The govt upped unemployment checks
Which really helped ends meet

It was tough mentally but we kept our cool and wife and I and cats kept sane

Then I went back to work and worried about exposure and I lost my insurance due to being jobless
We faced ruin if wife or me had to be hospitalized in the USA

Wife’s whole family in Indonesia came down with the virus etc etc al

We suffered more than I will let on

But we are on the mend

If the 525s can do it Taiwan can do it

I have many family and friends in Taiwan

So what happens there is of great importance to me

7 Likes

I can’t compare by state, but the odds of a random person getting covid in the US are still higher than a random person in Taiwan even when factoring for the percentage of people vaccinated. That doesn’t factor for Taiwanese fear and lack of movement against America’s opening up and loosening social distancing laws. It also doesn’t factor for herd immunity, an unknown, or vaccine effectiveness. I think Taiwan still comes out ahead. This week.

The gap is closing. It’s really dropping fast in the US.

2 Likes

NYT does not agree https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2021/us/covid-cases.html with you.

I wish I had a crystal ball to be able to confirm what you say. Not 100% sure that vaccine will fix this. Look at what is happening in Washington state now.

1 Like

Go to the state of CA.

2.5 per 100K, sorry.

And look at the county level data. In the SF Bay Area (where I am), cases per 100K are under 2. SF County had 26 cases yesterday. San Mateo 14. Santa Clara 31. This is nothing, and these 3 counties alone did more tests yesterday than all of TW yesterday.

I don’t think this is hard to grasp? Vaccines work and cases, hospitalizations and deaths have plummeted in CA. Things are getting back to normal and on June 15, a ton of the restrictions will be going away.

TW is sufferings its first outbreak. Cases are rising, hospitals are filling up, non-essential businesses have been ordered to close or operate under major restrictions. There’s talk and worry about Level 4 lockdowns. The govt is scrambling for vaccine. Testing is backlogged.

Things change. The trends are obvious.

Smart. I have no doubt that China would be shitty enough to attempt an “accidental” shootdown.

5 Likes

Going off on a tangent…I think the pilots that are doing the vaccine delivery deserve to be vaccinated, and prioritized.

2 Likes

Difference is in Taiwan hospitalization will not mean ruin.

1 Like

But will people be able to get a hospital bed and adequate care if the system gets too strained or collapses?

1 Like

With you everything is obvious, that is the problem. Take data from NYT, that I linked above, it’s not obvious.

Using this dataset, which is a reliable source, Taiwan would still be below all the US states.

With margin of error, number of case is equivalent between TW and CA, it is why you are able to find divergent datasets. Other states are much worse, there are 30 above 6 cases/100000.

Vaccine did the work reducing the cases, but it is too early to tell if it works long term.

I don’t deny this, but realize that it is a super careful approach and we are nowhere near the numbers of the USA peak.

1 Like

I don’t know…we don’t know…

But right now, from the looks at what is happening at NTU hospital, it doesn’t look so good. Pediatric ICU converted to COVID facility. The director of the hospital has said they need help.

1 Like

19 posts were merged into an existing topic: Coronavirus Vaccine Discussion