Coronavirus - Taiwan 2021

That’s what I write, maybe they could. I guess they do something for their ‘diplomatic’ foreign staff.

impossible for taiwan to have started a mass vaccination program in 3 months time? no it is not.

Impossible to catch up . Taiwan hadn’t even started yet and doesn’t know when they will have enough vaccines ready for the population .

Guys, these people got daily mask production from thousands to millions in a matter of months. They got this. They will have vaccine production autonomy and quick, efficient distribution.

3 Likes

You are assuming that Taiwan will develop an effective coronavirus vaccine that can pass all stages in the testing process. Why are you so confident?

This may happen; this may not happen. And even if it does, who knows when?

Guy

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asia/made-in-taiwan-covid-19-vaccines-could-be-ready-in-july-14288902 possibly July

Could be, possibly.

Why would we declare this as a definite future plan when all these other workable vaccines are circulating?

Guy

1 Like

Vaccines is not a three-ply mask.

Because vaccine production is not ready for 5 billion people.

6 Likes

Or you could just go home and get it. Don’t be lazy.

You are aware that some of us here have jobs, right?

And you are aware that international travel is a major pain in the &ss right now, right?

I thought so.

Guy

1 Like

Seems unlikely since Medigen just started phase 2 trials which don’t end for another 6 months.

1 Like

Yeah. That could cost $120000-200000 on lost wages, flights, expenses… hotels…

Four full weeks of quarantine.

1 Like

… and dangerous if you have not been vaccinated yet in terms of potentially getting infected

No it isn’t. Based on the speed of England’s vaccination, and based on Taiwans population being a 3rd of England’s they could catch up. Of course i am being optimistic that the vaccine situation in taiwan will improve and the speed taiwan handle it will be up to par, but you have to be optimistic in these shit times.

But if they are planning to wait for their own taiwan made vaccines throw what i said out of the window…

1 Like

We don’t have made in Taiwan vaccines.

And we won’t get COVAX and imported vaccines until April.

Here’s hoping things move crisply after that time.

Guy

1. If other countries did it, why can’t Taiwan?

2. Research and development of local COVID vaccines is quite advanced, phase 2 already, why won’t it be ready sometime in the near future? We have been kept informed every step of the way.

We have our own flu vaccines and a lot of locally produced vaccines plus very good labs. There are at least 2 companies doing work on the COVID vaccines at this moment.

1. We only need to produce enough for us here for starters. There are 23/24 million souls on this island, that’s 40 million doses give or take. It is not an impossible number.

Guys, as we say in Spanish, despacio porque hay prisa. Yes, we want to travel, go home, see the old folks. But we, as in humanity, did not get in this mess in a month and it won’t be as easy to dig ourselves out of the hole. Here in Taiwan, at least, we are not buried deep.

Remember when there was the big flood from Nari at Taipei Main Station? Remember they told us it would take 6 to 8 months to fix the system? Remember how bad it was without MRT? Then they fixed it in half the time? Remember? Think if that now. They are telling us 2022 we could be able to travel freely. They are not pulling that out of a hat.

2 Likes

Some of the most renowned and experienced vaccine manufacturers in the world such as Sanofi and GSK have so far failed to come up with a successful covid vaccine in spite of trying many times. So there is absolutely no guarantee that any Taiwanese company will do this. Moreover, phase 2 is about a zillion miles away from a vaccine ready to be used.

P.S.: And people who are not planning to stay in Taiwan forever would prefer an internationally available vaccine anyway to be able to get the appropriate booster doses abroad.

2 Likes

:thinking: Seems like a basic straightforward economics (trade) problem… :money_mouth_face: :money_mouth_face: :smiley:
Taiwan has chips that the world economy needs - and Taiwan needs Covid vaccines.
Duh???

Maybe Taiwan should impose a Covid vaccine surcharge on chips - or better yet, forget about paying with Bitcoin - companies could pay with vaccine dosages. At the very least, I’m assuming all the TMSC employees have already been vaccinated - At least I hope so! :worried:

Nope.

Remember when you guys said the Taipei 101 would topple over? Remember when you said it was an eyesore that would not sustain itself economically?

Your statements remind me when 311 struck and many foreigners panicked and left saying Taiwan would be covered in radioactive ash. And chastised the rest for staying.

Seriously guys, you should read a bit more about the position of Taiwan in biotech and research, it’s collection of patents are behind US and Japan, current vaccine development.

I am not asking you to have faith. I am telling you wait and see.

2 Likes