Coronavirus - Taiwan Developments Jan. 2022

I suspect that once cases start to spread, many local governments will take harsher measures that those recommended by the Tier system.

I’ve got that feeling too. The local governments love to panic.

I expect hiking routes will be sealed, stop us spreading it to the squirrels.

2 Likes

Yep. And it will hit the OFW’s particularly hard again when they increase restrictions - I’m betting they will lock them down worse than the public. Taiwan government is probably stuck between keeping people happy and keeping foreign governments happy with steady supply of semiconductors, etc.

2 Likes

Definitely

I remember last time when they herded them to and from the factories like cattle.

1 Like

I’m going to start smoking so I can take my mask off outside.

4 Likes

14 posts were split to a new topic: How dangerous is Omicron?

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Discussion about COVID restrictions and lockdowns in Taiwan

the new cases are 3 bankers?

1 Like

We did not have a blanket lockdown in Taiwan since the beginning of pandemic. We will see how it develops when they can not track and quarantine everyone exposed.

1 Like

The period last year was close enough and we don’t need to go through that again.

Yeah, it was technically not a lockdown but with everything shut it might as well have been.

Again. There is zero reason at all to return to that level with Omicron. Zero reason to shut indoor dining down or cinemas or bowling. Bring in proof of vaccine, sure–I’m triple vaxxed so have ZERO sympathy if some addlepated wally can no longer go to his tea house because he refused to get the jab.

Sometimes it seems people actually want a lockdown.

2 Likes

the Mayor of Taipei is trying to move forward it seems.

https://udn.com/news/story/120940/6028516?from=udn_ch2_menu_v2_main_index

Ko Wenzhe said that there are currently 180 confirmed cases in the hospital in Taipei City, and none of them have been intubated yet. If this is the case, he believes that the epidemic has already turned into influenza, and the infection is strong and the lethality is relatively low, which can be used as a reference for future epidemic prevention policies. .

Also goes to mention that hospitals shouldn’t be filled with mild patients and should be sent to hotels instead.

…but there goes the potential free quarantine for infected…risk of cross contamination at hotels as well.

5 Likes

He’s a total idiot and I don’t believe anything he says about anything.

Official firmware?

Where did they come from so sudden?

And turning into influenza is impossible.

Wow

Common sense. Im am shocked

Seemingly some infected old guy had the run around of his life in Taoyuan. From bank to supermarket, to night market … and a zillion other places.

1 Like

Time for Mr. Worldwide meme

2 Likes

I think he means same severity

maybe all the people arriving positive on planes? The positive arrivals maybe in Taipei all put to hospital instead of quarantine facility?

I don’t care if someone is an idiot or not if he has the right opinion on something. Caring about someone is an idiot or not would come into play if he tells me - please support me here so I support you there. I already see a huge right wing move in politics next 1-2 years in Europe and US as people are fed up with the covid lies and politics of the established parties. . It’s not that the right wing wasn’t spreading lies too - but they were largely against lockdown and parties especially now with omicron still pushing for lockdowns with the science saying they don’t work - will be downvoted in the near term (maybe different in Asia - not so sure here in Taiwan. But politicians need to know they are on a very slippery slope if Europe declares covid to be endemic - while Taiwan still fights with level 3 or 4…)

2 Likes

These are mostly all border cases caught at the airport or in quarantine.