Coronavirus - Taiwan Developments Jan. 2022

If that person gets admitted to hospital I’m not sure their 1000 a month for two years goes far. So my only point is they maybe shouldn’t be the ones calling for others to lose their insurance.

Stop with the blanket insults please.

2 Likes

Highly unlikely.

Im in my 30s, in fairly decent shape, never really get ill, no health issues.

Its very unlikely with a booster that ill be on a vent. My 90 year old walrus sized grandad who had an angina got through omicron with just a cough.

1 Like

No, you’re right, it doesn’t…but that’s the nature of insurance, that the vast majority of people won’t be admitted to hospital, especially when of working age. Obviously the ones that are would most likely cost way more than they’ve contributed.

1 Like

not much optimism here? I don’t think buxibans will go back to online teaching because there is no way parents can handle another 1-2months of little Johny at home chopping shit up around the house like a mini wolverine.

whatever happens with the outbreak of omicron, I’m really quite optimistic that taiwan is going to be fine, and I think CDC has done a good job. I think Chen Clockmaster needs a break anyway. Chendoor:

2 Likes

Fear is spreading. I’m in quarantine after arriving and bound for moving to home quarantine in 3 days. Now my landlord told me she cancels the contract… Well I informed the police already and the police try to talk reason into her… The contract has no clause for cancellation without 1 month notice ahead…

But yeah it was bound to arrive and with most people being asymptomatic Taiwan can never contain it. They don’t have even remotely enough test infrastructure.

Taxi drivers without separation just masks was a disaster waiting to happen. They fell for the taxi unions. Busses with strict separation for the driver would have likely prevented this current outbreak. But at some point it was bound to spread. Let’s just hope for reason instead of Panic if it spreads and then following countries like Norway with sensible measures

5 Likes

Really so terrible that the guard everywhere has fallen. How many people scan before entering stores?

I was extremely doubtful they could have held things together this long but I am nearly confident if they cancel the social opportunities to catch this we might have a chance.

I think we’ve learned enough in the last 2 weeks to know if we have more time to access the situation we’ll be much better off than letting things just happen.

I am really glad I took the medigen instead of anything else.

They surely need to handle the arrivals better if they want t continue letting people in. If we are asked to go into a semi lockdown they should shut down the airport arrivals.

I promise to continue my current behavior. :sunglasses:

Still getting swirlies at your age?

Nah, do that to smokers, betel nut chewers and anyone who doesn’t get 15 hours of exercise a week.

Today is looking bright. Maybe the end of the Covid tunnel is finally visible. I welcome my Omicron overlord.

1 Like

Even the WHO announced today they expect/see a chance that omicron will be the gamechanger from pandemic to endemic. If this is true and that is what more and more experts believe (I’ve been saying so since early December) then it has to hit Taiwan, it’s only the question when. Taiwan cannot ski pandemic phase with the leaky vaccines.

1 Like

I don’t know what that means. :sweat_smile:

And…how old do you think I am? :thinking:

2 Likes

replace southwark with taiwan.

2.4million cases of covid worldwide currently…I still don’t think we’ve peaked yet…crazyness.

1 Like

Yeah, I saw the graph for the UK yesterday - quite startling how much the recent surge has rescaled the last two years. Something to look forward to for Taiwan, I guess. (Just trying to stay on topic.)

twoweekstoflattenthecurve

1 Like

On the other hand, in a situation which could be more relevant to Taiwan, look at Japan, where Omicron has been present since November, with 1,000 total cases now

5 Likes

The infections in London where it first massively started are going back already - peak in London seems over - the rest of the country is pre peak. But comparing with England is like comparing with Italy or other countries with serious health system problems.

Denmark, Norway, Sweden, all of Africa - nothing bad happening. And even in England hospitals are less full than in previous phases.
If flu would spread at that speed - it would look the same. Flu is simply spreading slower because more people had it already. Vaccines don’t prefent infection - but previous infection seems to do much better - because it’s over in South Africa which had much higher infections before and less vaccinations.

No one with Omicron that arrived in Taiwan has needed to go to hospital yet !!! (at least that was printed yesterday). Only with lockdown this thing will turn wild. Keep things open and get through with it. Taiwan can try until they have 10-15 community spread infections - if it’s more give up and open up. The good thing is - I guess in 2-3 months flying to Taiwan without quarantine will be possible again (I expected so all along before coming - but I don’t want to arrive here in April when it’s getting hot already and then leave in May due to the heat).

Here is more about England and they will loosen restrictions on isolation!

You guys are engaging in wishful thinking if you believe that Taiwan will follow Norway’s example and not shut down tighter than a duck’s ass. This is Taiwan, a conservative country in East Asia. No, we’re not China, which is currently locking people in their apartments in one of their Omicrummy regions right now. But we’re not THAT different. Even if no one is dying or getting seriously sick (or more realistically, very few are) there will still be a level of shutting down and with it, pain. East Asian countries understand the importance of protecting public health; unfortunately, they have not grasped the concept of protecting psychological health to the extent Western countries do. If Omicron seriously spreads, then businesses will be shuttered, kids will be stuck at home, those with special needs will be denied services, etc, etc. at least for a while until reality sets in that it can’t be contained.

3 Likes

I feel like I’ve said this before in replies to you where you were being optimistic about the situation… :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I think people misunderstand my position sometimes, as I’m pro-vaccine/ anti-restrictive measures which puts me at odds with both camps occasionally. I’m also not afraid to change my mind or opinion about something over time… sometimes even over the course of the same post! It’s true, I have become more against restrictions since the vaccines have become widely available for everyone who wants them.

7 Likes