Coronavirus - Taiwan Developments Feb-Mar 2022

well that’s why they need to be very blunt to the public that at 50% boosted it’s opening, that’s it, but that isn’t happening.

1 Like

The more important point is that young men rarely get symptomatic COVID, while all (most) of them are being pressured to accept vaccination in Taiwan. Unless you know otherwise, the rate of cardiovascular issues post-COVID for young men is so small that it’s comparable to the background (idiopathic) rate. And the problem with small numbers in a large sample size is that they are subject to extremely wide measurement errors.

The assertion that young people are at any serious risk from COVID itself - particularly the omicron strain - doesn’t appear to be supported by evidence. Meanwhile, the vaccine is not being properly tested, so the rate of adverse effects is likewise unknown.

You might want to avoid lecturing people on issues of science, given your limited background in the subject.

11 Likes

I was just getting in there before the daily comments where people start acting like the numbers are completely reliable and cheering on the CDC for having reduced the number of domestically transmitted cases by 51.3514% since yesterday.

I don’t mind if you use italics or not (odd point).

2 Likes

If you promised to stop lecturing us about Canadian politics, you might have a deal. :rofl:

Guy

1 Like

16 unknown origin according to the website

1 Like

I find “beverage shop cluster” slightly amusing for some reason (I checked the article, and it doesn’t seem like a beverage shop providing audio-visual services), but:

The Kebuke branch announced on Facebook after the initial case was reported Thursday that it will close for 14 days between Feb. 10 and 23 based on the government’s COVID-19 policy.

I’m curious why companies do stuff like this (why 14 days, specifically?), and whether it’s required or the company is just trying to get ahead of bad PR like paranoid customers associating the chain with the virus (e.g., FamilyMart). You’d have thought they could just send in the ghostbusters to waft some bleach around and chant some magic words and then re-open for business a day or two later, like Costco and the like do (I’m guessing they wouldn’t be willing to close a store for two weeks). It seems clearly unsustainable, though.

4 Likes

I’m definitely feeling torn these days between a desire for low case numbers on the one hand, and on the other reaching a stage where the dumber measures are not sustainable and have to stop.

6 Likes

I wonder when they’re going to stop using that word “cluster” to pretend that they know who infected who, and that the “cluster” is contained?

But yeah, this is unsustainable, especially when every man and his dog is making up his own magic rituals that conquer COVID.

6 Likes

I guess Kaohsiung is doing the most testing ?
wonder when the mayor will start taping off the parks.

1 Like

I think when a certain percentage (maybe even 100%) have been given the opportunity to get boosted is the fairest way forward. If they used this metric, how far away would we be, I wonder?

1 Like

Don’t you remember last summer? It became “the Wanhua cluster” at some point, and I think “New Taipei cluster” was even used for a while. (I don’t know how much precise contact tracing went on in those “clusters”, but it didn’t seem that thorough from my recollection of the media reports - I would often read stuff like “they visited Wanhua on June 17”)

Get with the program. We need at least 110% across the board!

1 Like

How long will a booster stay a booster and not turn into a requirement to get two new shots? Or you need it to get into places?

2 Likes

My worry is we’ll get the worst of both worlds like Hong Kong. Cases out of control, but CDC/CECC just throwing more and more extreme measures at the wall to try and contain it before they reach the acceptance stage (maybe that comes in 2023…?).

7 Likes

The hotel ‘lobby’ needs ensured of income for hotels somehow

2 Likes

That was you I saw on the street?

Lack of employees as they need to stay at home or are quarantined

Yeah, I get that that could partially explain the issue here for a small branch with a limited number of employees, but the 14 days seemed to be a deliberate decision made by the chain’s management. (There’s no guarantee that all of the affected employees will have been released within 14 days, of course.)

Giving you the finger? Yeah

2 Likes

Be nice!

Guy

I’m doubled vaxxed and happily followed all restrictions so far - but I’m starting to get frustrated with this thing. Other countries have already moved on.

Let her (slowly) rip (in a measured and controlled manor).

5 Likes