Coronavirus - Taiwan Developments Feb-Mar 2022

The only :cucumber: is how the government can keep up their totalitarian nonsense without inciting riots and dealing with the idiots afraid of Omicron and opening up.

Is this study and any others of their kind based on how many hours of interaction? My neighbors toddlers use masks quietly outside, no issues. From the jumping and screaming and laughter that is not the case at home.

The most important input in a child’s life is still the parents/immediate family. I guess parents are not interacting with kids at home with masks all day long.

One thing is neglect and another protection. One thing is active disdain and manipulation, other normalizing a protective device like seatbelts. Not to mention the parents attitude influencing the outcomes. Here parents see masks as anything from socks to helmets: necessary for protection or an accessory to comply with the law. But they are, have been and hopefully will be a part of our lives here in Taiwan.

That report analyzed 85 research papers based on that Still-Face Paradigm.
Of course, there will be children like your examples who will not be impacted, and there will be others like the examples of people given this forum who appear to be impacted to some degree.

In the SFP, infants are generally observed in a three-step face-to-face interaction with an adult: (1) a baseline normal interaction episode, (2) the ‘still-face’ episode in which the adult becomes unresponsive and maintains a neutral facial expression, and (3) a reunion in which the adult resumes normal interaction. The still-face has been found to evoke marked changes in infant behavior, now known as the still-face effect. Infants typically show increased gaze aversion, less smiling and more negative affect during the still-face compared to during normal face-to-face interaction (e.g., Gusella, Muir, & Tronick, 1988; Kisilevsky et al., 1998; Toda & Fogel, 1993). Since its introduction, many studies have used the SFP for a wide variety of research purposes, showing the versatility of the paradigm. Infant responses to the SFP have not only been found to be related to the quality of parental care-giving (e.g., Tarabulsy et al., 2003), but are also associated with future adaptation, such as attachment quality (e.g., Braungart-Rieker, Garwood, Powers, & Wang, 2001) and behavior problems (Moore, Cohn, & Campbell, 2001).

3 Likes

WE CAN NEVER RELAX!

1 Like

So a brief interaction, strange not commonplace and in controlled environment.? Still does not answer for how long.

I remember this kind of interactions/experiments done to determine if children came from nurturing homes or abusive/neglecting ones. Their responses varied depending on previous input.

1 Like

Masks fuck up children’s development, no question.

4 Likes

Yep. Because next time will be far worse. In 3 or 4 years maybe, or less, the next plague will besiege us. And that’s going to be a doozy.

I was reading about a doctor -not here in Taiwan- complaining people refusing tetanus shots now, because of anti vax messages. Now that is a real issue. Rabies and tetanus are stuff our immune system can’t deal with. We have no treatment. And death is long and painful and horrible.

So if this becomes the norm, and we forego the established anti epidemic measures, the next plague will spread even faster and end up unnecessarily deadlier.

2 Likes

Why do you say that? Seems these are every 50 to 100 year events.

I’m neutral on face masks for kids but add to that the restrictions, school closures, pressure on kids to be vaccinated…for a virus that is not dangerous to them. Not to mention they are the generation who will have to pay for the cost of Covid, in many countries, the form of higher taxes, etc

3 Likes

Where are you getting the timeline and severity from? This sounds like fearmongering to me. (Not that I would be surprised if some mutated form of SARS-CoV-2 evolves or gets transmitted back to humans from some animal reservoir, as I’ve said before. Don’t know about the timeline, don’t know about the severity cf. the current plague.)

That’s a problem. It makes me think that it would have been better for politicians and the media not to lie and make false promises about these vaccines and their necessity, such that the reputation of other vaccines becomes damaged.

It sounds like you’re saying that you want these measures to continue indefinitely, just in case? I definitely don’t, although it would seem to make sense to develop a better global system for monitoring for and dealing with these things than existed at the end of 2019, if only because governments and people don’t seem particularly good at coping with them when they become established.

We could also read this as you/we/people having 3 or 4 years to attempt to become healthier and secure a better prognosis for ourselves during COVID-26. :slightly_smiling_face:

10 Likes

I feel sorry for people living in that much fear.

9 Likes

Were you in Taiwan? I thought masks were required by law at all times or you get a fine. Seems dumb to me especially outside but I do not get their end game at all.

That’s the law, but it’s not enforced.

I’m consciously being more lax with my mask wearing outside for this exact reason.

If anyone challenges me my plan is to use one of these:

1. “I’m just about to/just had a cigarette”.
  2. “Why do all those people sitting in that restaurant there get to not wear masks but I have to?”
  3. “Fuck off”
7 Likes

Good. Because wearing masks outside when no one else is around is pretty ridic

5 Likes

No, not at all times. You don’t need to wear them in restaurants, bars, etc., but you do need to wear them outside, sometimes leading to the self-evidently stupid situation that @BigDave pointed out, where you’re in the street by yourself wearing a mask and pass a crowded place full of people socializing without them. I’ve even been outside bars a couple of times where the police came and told us we either needed to put on masks if we wanted to stay outside or go into the crowded bar if we didn’t want to wear them. Them’s the rules, though. :man_shrugging:

9 Likes

Outside, they are required. In a bar, nobody wears them. That created the silly situation I experienced.

Edit. Just realized Andrew already answered you.

This morning I saw someone queue and pay in family mart with his mask on his chin and then put it up when he walked outside. Sorry, I’m generally cooperative, but this is just stupid now.

2 Likes

I can report from Wuling Farm yesterday. Complete chaos with lines and parking (last day to get In without permit to see the Sakura flowers).

Most workers mask less, best one being the guy taking cash that sticks his head In every car. People walking around probably 15% mask less and 25% chin diapers. Nobody cared one bit. No QR codes either.

7 Likes

Which is not the case in every country, particularly in Taiwan.

In the old country children are getting vaccinated because thousands are getting sick and it is not just a cold for them, varying in intensity. Both adults and children are contracting the virus repeatedly. We do not have the resources to deal with all the sick load. In Taiwan, we do not an overwhelming amount of kids getting sick, the sick ones are receiving relevant treatment. If Omicron gets out of the bottle and runs rampant into the society, then it will be seen if it is mild or not, for both kids and adults.

There are relevant studies regarding the lack of resources for distant learning in low income/mountain/rural boroughs in Taiwan though. Especially how the government can help overcome the internet gap.